Acai Berry (Karvandha) Side Effects Everyone Must Know
Acai berries are known for their immense benefits and are very healthy for your body. But they also have some side effects. Below are given some side effects of this fruit.
First of all let us know about acai berry. Acai palm tree is native to the northern area of South America. It is also seen in Brazil and Africa. The botanical name of acai berry is Euterpe oleracea. It is an important food source of food for the people for Brazil and the people of the Amazonial tribes. The berries growing on this tree are reddish-purple in colour and grow in bunches, resembling small grapes. They are green when they are young and then turn to purple as they become ripe. It has a single seed inside. These berries are surrounded by an oil coating. The puree of acai berries is used when preparing ice creams, desserts and jellies.
Acai berries are known for their wide range of health benefits and are therefore very popular among people. These berries are used in making medicines as well. They are good for the treatment of various skin problems and digestive disorders. Pure and unprocessed acai fruit juice and puree do not cause many side effects. But when ingredients like caffeine, tobacco, sugar and toxic fillers are added to acai supplements, it becomes unsafe for consumption.
Side Effects of Acai Berry:
- Consuming processed acai berry supplements can cause the build up of plaque and toxins in the body. This can lead to a host of health problems that range from acne to Candida to fatigue.
- Acai berry supplements contain various herbs like garlic, feverfew, gingko and so on. These cause thinning of blood and can even lead to severe bleeding. In fact you should avoid any health supplement that contains these ingredients.
- Echinacea is another herb used in acai berry supplement. This can cause liver inflammation, leading to liver damage. If you consume it for more than one week, it can even suppress the immune system.
- By consuming acai berry supplements in excess, the blood vessels in your body may get dilated. This can cause a significant reduction in the blood pressure. This may turn out to be a serious condition especially in people with cardiac problems.
- People who are below normal weigh should take care not consume acai berry. This is because it can suppress your appetite. This in turn promotes loss of weight.
- acai berry may interact with pain killers and non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs like aspirin and aleve. So, if you are on these drugs, make sure that you avoid consuming acai berry. Never take acai berries along with other antioxidant supplements without consulting your doctor. This berry can also reverse the effects of cancer medications. Acai fruit is also said to affect the results of MRI scan.
- Acai beery is said to cause the transmission of Chagas disease. The reason for it is that it contains the remnants of tritomines. This is a blood sucking insect that is native to South America. It carries a parasite called trypanosoma cruzi. This parasite is responsible for causing Chagas disease. The symptoms of this disease include fever, swelling on the infection site, fatigue, rash, body ache, eyelid swelling, headache, nausea, loss of appetite, vomiting, swollen glands as well as enlargement of the liver or spleen. In chronic phase the symptoms include irregular heartbeat, congestive heart failure, difficulty in swallowing because of the enlarged oesophagus, sudden heart failure, abdominal pain, constipation due to enlarged colon.
- Acai berry can cause swelling of the mouth, lips, tongue and the throat. It can also cause wheezing and other problems associated with the respiratory system.
- Some people who are affected by pollen allergies may face problems with acai products also. Many people suffering from pollen allergies have reported that when they consumed acai berry, their allergies were aggravated. If you face any problems after consuming acai berry, you should immediately visit your doctor.
- Lactating women are advised not to consume acai berry supplements. This is because it can cause harm to the infant.
- People who are allergic to acai or any other plant in the Arecaceae family should avoid consuming acai berries as it can cause allergic reactions.
- Acai berry is also said to cause irritation in the colon and intestinal tract. This can lead to diarrhoea.
- Other side effects of acai berry include headache, reduced vision and partial deafness.
- Consuming acai berry regularly when you are pregnant is very harmful. This is because when you take it in excess, it can cause irregular or abnormal activities of the reproductive organs and also cause the contraction of the uterus this can be harmful for the foetus and can even lead to miscarriage in some serious cases.
- Excess consumption of acai berry can cause gastrointestinal problems like diarrhoea. Various clinical studies made have shown that acai berry can cause irritation in the intestinal tract and in the colon. This ultimately lead to diarrhoea. When you suffer from severe diarrhoea, muscular cramps, abdominal pain, improper bowel movements etc are also experienced. In severe cases dehydration also occurs.
So, you can see that acai berry cause side effects only when unhealthy additives and ingredients are used in the preservation process. When it is consumed in its original form, without adding any other ingredients, then it is amazing for your health and has numerous remedial properties. So, make sure that you consume these berries in their original form.