Bananas for Constipation – How Good Are They?
Do you suffer from constipation and are looking for a way to ease constipation? Then you can try bananas. This is a natural remedy for constipation. Bananas not only provide you relief from constipation, but also give you a lot of health benefits.
Causes of Constipation:
Constipation can occur due to many reasons. So, it is important to know what causes the constipation. Most common causes for constipation are:
- Diet consisting foods that lack fibre content in them.
- Dehydration and consumption of foods that is not rich in water.
- Consuming foods that do not contain fibre, which displaces plant foods that are fibre-rich.
- Lack of exercise or physical activity.
- Dieting and reducing the intake of calories.
- Use of medicines that has side effects, in which constipation is also included.
- Consumption of dairy products. This is one of the primary causes of constipation among children and adults across the globe.
Bananas for Constipation Relief:
Bananas are considered to be one of the fruits that can cause constipation and this is true. But it can happen only of you are not eating bananas at the right stage. It is the green bananas that cause constipation because they are rich in starch. If you are eating bananas to get relief from constipation, then you should make sure that you do not eat the green bananas. They can make your condition even worse.
Ripe, yellow bananas are perfect for relieving constipation. However, remember to consume it in moderation. Consuming too much of this fruit can make the problem worse. Just eating ripe bananas moderately is not enough to ease constipation. You should also drink plenty of water.
It is the fibre present in bananas that makes these fruits good for treating constipation. Fibre has lots of health benefits. It is particularly good for the proper functioning of your digestive system. It helps in the proper digestion of the food you consume. This in turn helps food to pass smoothly through the large intestine and then out of the body. Insoluble fibre is found in high amounts in bananas. This is very effective for reducing constipation. So, include bananas in your daily diet. This way you can get relief from constipation without the use of laxatives, which can have many adverse effects on your body.
Are Bananas Good For Constipation?
By consuming bananas you can get relief from the discomfort and sometimes the pain that comes with constipation. Here is how bananas help with constipation:
- As mentioned earlier, bananas are rich in fibre, especially the insoluble fibre. By consuming a medium sized banana you will get 3 gm of fibre. This makes about 10% of the fibre that you need per day to prevent constipation. Insoluble fibre is very effective for treating constipation. But along with this, it is also important that you drink plenty of water. This is because too much of fibre can lead to a hard stool and this may block your intestine. As a result, the waste does not get thrown out from your body.
- The effect of bananas on the colon depends on the type of fruit you consume. Eating green bananas can lead to constipation, or make your already bad condition worse. This is because there is a large amount of starch in green bananas. On the other hand, if you consume ripe bananas with enough water, it helps in making the stool pass properly through the intestine without any problem whatsoever. However, remember that consuming too much of ripe bananas will not help you treat the problem.
- Bananas contain potassium, which is an important nutrient that helps in treating constipation. It helps in the proper movement of bowels, so that the stool is easily passed, and the waste materials from the food are properly removed from your body.
- Bananas contain an enzyme called fructooligosaccharide, which plays an important role in the prevention and treatment of constipation. It prevents bananas from fermenting once it gets in to your intestinal tract. It is also good for boosting digestion. This enzyme also plays the role of a mild natural laxative and helps in providing relief and preventing constipation. It increases the energy levels of your body as well.
- Bananas are rich in pectin, which is a complex carbohydrate. This acts as a binding agent on the stool. It draws out the water from the intestinal tract and this makes the stool hard and difficult to pass through the intestine. However, ripe bananas produce ethylene gas. This gas produces an enzyme called pectinase. It can break down pectin. As a result, the banana gets softer and your body will be able to digest it easily.
Using Bananas to Treat Constipation:
- Peel a ripe banana and eat it.
- You can eat 2 or 3 bananas at intervals of several hours every day. This helps in soothing your stomach and also stimulates the bowel movement. The first banana you can eat for your breakfast.
- Make this a part of your daily routine and this will help you treat constipation.
- Peel a ripe banana and cu it into slices.
- Add a glass of milk to these slices.
- Drink the milk and eat the bananas soaked in milk. Make sure that you chew the slices properly.
- Do this every day and you can get relief from the discomfort and pain that comes with constipation and also prevent this condition.
- Peel a banana and cut it into slices.
- Blend these slices with a cup of milk.
- You can also add some honey if you want it to be sweeter.
- Blend until smooth.
A balanced diet is very important if you suffer from constipation. There are many fruits, vegetables and other foods that are rich in nutrients and provide you relief from constipation. Banana is one among them. Banana is not a seasonal fruit. You can use it throughout the year for treating constipation.