Best Facial Tips and Treatment for Sensitive Skin
Just like the hair type, body, skin tone etc differ from one person to the other, the skin type also differs. You may have normal, dry, oily, combination or sensitive skin. Each type has its advantages and disadvantages. A sensitive skin means that you must be very careful when you use a product. The skin may suffer from allergy or rashes when you use certain products and ingredients.
Some of the main causes for the skin to become sensitive are dry skin, skin disorders, excessive exposure to various environmental conditions and pollution, hormone fluctuations etc. When the skin is too dry, the nerve endings on the skin may lose their protection. Skin disorders mean skin problems like eczema and so on. When you have a sensitive skin, the cosmetics you use, the food you consume and environmental conditions can affect your skin if you are not very careful about it. Itching of the skin, redness, breakouts etc are some of the common symptoms for sensitive skin. It is often very embarrassing especially when you have to go out. So, it is important that you find out the right skin care products when your skin is sensitive. It is often tricky and you have to be very patient and alert in choosing the correct product.
Facial Skin Care: Ways to Soothe Sensitive Skin:
- When you have a sensitive skin, try to use natural products as far as it is possible for you. This is because natural products do not affect sensitive skin much as the other products.
- Make it a habit to consume a healthy diet. Try to include lots of vegetables, fruits and salads in your diet. These keep your skin fresh and in good condition. Avoid hot and spicy food as it is not good for sensitive skin. [Also Read: Foods to Eat for Healthy Skin]
- Drink plenty of water. This way you can flush out all toxins from your body and keep your skin well hydrated. A hydrated skin can keep irritations and other such problems at bay.
- Try not to use soap for cleansing your face. Instead you may use a soap free cleanser. Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser, Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser, Clean and Clear facial wash etc are some of the soap free cleansers that you can use on your face. After cleansing your face, apply a good moisturizer that is made especially for sensitive skin. Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion is an example.
- Never use harsh readymade scrubs as it may harm your skin.
- Green tea has great anti-inflammatory properties. So you can use products that contain green tea extracts on your skin. This help in soothing your skin. [Also Read: Green Tea Face Packs for Skin]
- If you have sensitive skin, use only mineral makeup products. These can reduce inflammation.
- Most of us have the habit of touching the skin every now and then. Avoid this habit and do not touch your skin with dirty hands. When the skin is inflamed, never press or prick your skin.
Homemade Remedies for Sensitive Skin:
- To remove makeup from sensitive skin, take some almond oil on a cotton pad and wipe your face with this cotton pad. This way you can avoid irritating your skin.
- Take 2 tablespoons of oatmeal and mix it well with 2 tablespoons of milk and prepare an exfoliant for your skin. Apply this paste on your face and then massage in gentle circular motions. Use your first two fingers for massaging your face. Massage for about 2 minutes, but not more than that. Now you can wash off with cold water. This is an excellent face pack for sensitive skin and can do wonders for your skin.
- You can also make a face pack by using seasonally available fruits. Make sure that the fruits you use are fresh. You can use strawberries, bananas, or any other fruit that is available. Mix the fruit well with honey and apply on your face. Wait for about 20 minutes, so that your skin can absorb all the nutrients in the pack, and then wash with water. You will see that your skin has become smooth, supple and glowing.
- A face mask made by using cucumber and yogurt is excellent for your sensitive skin. Mix them well and apply on your face. Wait for 20 minute and then wash off with water.
- Fresh aloe vera gel is very beneficial for sensitive sin. Apply the gel on your face and leave it for 20 to 30 minutes. Wash off with water. The aloe vera gel provides a soothing affect on your skin.
- Take one spoon each of cocoa powder, milk and honey and mix them well to get a smooth paste. Apply on your face and body and wait for about 15 minutes. Once you see the pack getting dry, wash off with cold water.
- Take an ice cube and gently rub your face with this ice cube. This has a calming effect on your skin and it also acts as a good toner for your skin. [Also Read: Benefits of using Ice cubes on Skin]
- Coconut oil is also good for sensitive skin. Extra-virgin pure coconut oil is rich in fatty acids, which keep the skin well moisturized and protect the skin from getting dry. It is excellent for treating psoriasis, dermatitis and so on.
- Neem and honey pack is good for sensitive skin. Neem has anti-inflammatory property and honey is an excellent moisturizer. Mix both the ingredients to get a smooth paste and apply on your face. Wait for 10 minutes and then wash off with lukewarm water.
- If you have a sensitive skin, consult a dermatologist and take his advice.
- Always be very cautious when you use natural or herbal remedies for sensitive skin. Before using the product, it is important to perform the patch test by applying a little of the product behind your ears and leaving it there for about 24 hours. If any irritation or discomfort is experienced, do not use the product.