Best and Quick Home Remedies for Canker Sores
Oral health is very important and we all have to be very careful about it. Sometimes, in spite of taking good care of oral health and dental hygiene, you may still get sores, which may be difficult to get rid of.
What are Canker Sores?
Canker sores appear as eruptions around the area of the mouth. It is not easy to treat it with medication. When you are affected with canker sores, it becomes very difficult for you to eat, drink or speak.
They may be very small and hardly visible, but the pain and discomfort they offer you is very high. They are white in the center and there is a red halo around them. They appear on your lips, inside your mouth, throat and even your tongue. They are not contagious, but sometimes they cause fever and sluggishness.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Canker Sores:
Ointments may prove ineffective for treating canker sores. But there are some home remedies which are very effective for getting rid of canker sores. So, if you suffer from them, here are some preventive methods and home remedies for this problem. The ingredients used in these home remedies are easy to get as most of them are found in your kitchen. Before you follow these home remedies, make sure that you are not allergic to any of the ingredients used.
Alum also helps in getting you relief from the pain. You may get a slight burning sensation when you apply it, but it is normal.
Aloe vera has great curative powers. The antibacterial and antiseptic properties of aloe vera help you get relief from the canker sores.
- Cut the leaf of ale vera and squeeze the juice from the leaf.
- Apply this well on your sores.
- You may also mix it with 1 teaspoon each of hydrogen peroxide, salt and baking soda and use this mixture as a rinse.
This is a simple but very effective home remedy for canker sores. It provides you relief with its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties.
- Make a paste of baking soda by adding little water to it and apply it on the sores.
- After a few days you will see the symptoms vanished.
- Baking soda aloes helps in restoring the pH balance of the mouth.
Coriander is found almost in all kitchens in India. It has a lot of medicinal properties. With its antiseptic, antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties, coriander is very effective for treating canker sores. It helps in getting rid of canker sores symptoms and also brings it under control.
- Take one cup of water and boil a teaspoon of coriander seeds in it.
- If you do not have seeds, you can use leaves also.
- Strain it and use this water to rinse your mouth.
- You can also take the juice of coriander leaves and drink it. This will provide you best results. Take it in your mouth, let it come in contact with the sores and then swallow the juice.
Cayenne pepper contains capsaicin, which has the power to numb the nerves. So, it provides you relief from the pain caused by canker sores.
Take some juice of cayenne pepper and apply it over the sores. Initially you may feel some irritation, but then you will get relief from the pain.
- Take a few teaspoons of honey and mix it well with one quarter of a spoon of turmeric.
- Honey when combined with turmeric is great for getting relief from the pain and inflammation caused y canker sores. This mixture is also a good antiseptic.
- Apply this mixture well over the sores and let it remain for about 20 seconds. Then you can wash off with plain water.
Ice has the power to kill germs by bringing the temperature down, so that the bacteria causing sores cannot survive. Ice is also a good numbing agent.
- Cold water with ice when taken in the mouth, will give you instant relief from the pain caused by canker sores.
- You may also hold a piece of ice over the sores to get relief.
Tea tree oil is regarded as one of the most effective treatments for canker sores. It has antibacterial and antiseptic properties and hence helps in healing these sores. It also lowers the chances of canker sores from reappearing.
- Mix tea tree oil with equal quantity of water and rinse your mouth with it often.
- You may also apply this oil on the sores with the help of a cotton swab.
Onion has antibacterial properties, which make it great for treating canker sores.
- Cut an onion and hold it over the canker sores. This will help in curing canker sores faster.
- You can also take the juice of onion and apply it on the sores. This contains sulfur and is good for treating these sores.
- Apply the juice of onion three to four types a day. This will give you maximum benefits.
Sage has proved to be very effective for treating a lot of skin problems. The calming effect of sage provides you great relief from the symptoms of canker sores.
- When you boil water to make tea, you can add a few leaves or powder of sage to it.
- This makes your tea tasty and is also a good remedy for the sores.
- You can also rinse your mouth with sage.
Additional Tips to Avoid Recurrent Canker Sores:
- Make sure that you never share your tooth brush. Use a soft bristled brush and SLS free toothpaste.
- Quit smoking
- Do not eat problem foods like chips, popcorns and other snacks that can cut the insides of your cheek and mouth.
- Reduce stress and try to relax.
- Follow good dental and oral hygiene.