Best Ways to Prevent, Remove and Treat Split Ends Hair
Split ends are cause due to use of excess chemicals, improper hair care and harsh brushing of the hair. If your hair is dry and brittle, split ends may come and if not treated properly, it will damage your whole hair. So, it is important that you take good care of your hair and nourish it from within as well as from outside.
Image credits: dailymail
How to Prevent or Avoid Split Ends:
- Although leaving the hair flowing is the trend now, it may cause damage to your hair when you go outside, because of the wind. Always tie your hair properly in a bun or a braid when you go out.
- If your hair gets split ends easily, remember to put on a sun cap when you go out in the sun. This will save your hair from split ends.
- One way to avoid split ends is to trim your hair every 6 or 8 weeks. When you cut the hair at home or at the salon, take care not to cut the ends more than 1 inch.
- Using iron curlers may cause split ends. So try to use it as little as possible. Using too much of styling gels, other styling products and hair colors also lead to the appearance of split ends. So try to minimize their use.
- You need to use a conditioner regularly, followed by a hair serum in order to avoid split ends. Oiling your hair at regular intervals is also necessary to protect your hair from split ends.
How to Remove Split Ends:
An easy way to remove split ends at home is as follows.
- Comb your hair well and take a small section at a time.
- Softly twist the section of hair that you have taken, from the root to the tip. If any split ends are present in that section of the hair, they will stand out and you can trim it with a pair of small scissors.
- You can see these split ends better and more clearly if you stand near the window with the sun rays falling on your hair.
- If you are not satisfied with this method, you can go to a salon and trim your hair.
How to Treat Split Ends:
- Another remedy is to use any of your body lotions that are thick and creamy. Apply this only to the split ends, about 2 inches from the ends of your hair, and on any other parts. Leave the lotion overnight and then wash next morning with shampoo.
- If you happen to get fresh avocado, make a hair mask out of it by grinding it into a paste. Apply this paste on your scalp and your entire hair, till the ends. Leave the mask for 20 minutes and then wash your hair with a good shampoo.
- Keeping the hair well oiled is one of the best ways to treat split ends. Apply the oil on your scalp well, not missing our any part of the scalp. You can use olive oil or a mixture of olive oil, coconut oil and mustard oil taken in equal quantities. Massage the oil with your fingers on your scalp and the entire length of the hair, taking special care to apply it at the ends of the hair. Leave it overnight, get a good sleep and then wash it off the next morning with water and a mild shampoo.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of almond oil with one egg yolk and beat the mixture to make it into a frothy paste. If your hair is very long, you can take two, three or more eggs and also increase the quantity of almond oil according to the length of the hair. Apply this beaten mixture of egg and almond oil on your scalp and the entire length of your hair. Wear a plastic cap to prevent the mixture from falling out of the hair and leave the mixture for 20 minutes. Wash off with shampoo.
- Walnut oil is excellent for your hair and for treating split ends. Massage your scalp and the hair well with walnut oil and leave the oil on your end parts of the hair or the whole length of the hair overnight. Wash your hair with a mild shampoo next morning. Use walnut oil 4 to 5 times a week and you will see that all the split ends will vanish within 1 or 2 months.
How to take care of split ends:
- Keeping the hair tied prevents getting it damages and protects it from split ends.
- Switch between home remedies and products that are available in the market.
- Try to use as less chemicals on your hair as possible
- Treating the hair at salon may be expensive but it is good to spend occasionally. Regular hair spa is good for your hair.
- Use products that do not harm your hair and are gentle on your hair.
- Use brushes and combs that are of good quality.
- Using leave in hair conditioners, hair serums and heat protecting serums protect your hair from damages.
- When you trim your hair at home, use a proper hair scissor instead of the paper scissors, which may cause more harm and lead to the formation of split ends.
- When you buy hair products check that they are of a good and reputed brand.
- When you comb your hair do it gently. Also avoid combing when the hair is damp.
Home treatments for split ends:
- A mixture of papaya and yogurt is also good for your split hair.
- Beer is also good for your hair. After you shampoo your hair, take a cup of flat beer and massage your scalp and hair with it. This will make your hair extra soft.
- Egg makes your hair smooth and strong by providing protein to the hair.
- Massage your hair and scalp with warm olive oil, leave it for 30 minute and then wash off with water and shampoo. You may also leave it overnight, covering it with a towel. This acts as a deep conditioner.