How to Dye (Color) Your Hair Blonde at Home
It is said that blondes have more fun. It also lends so many more colouring options. If you do not have the time to go to the beauty parlour to get your hair coloured, you can do it at home also. You can follow the tips given below to colour your hair properly at home.
Tips for Colouring your Hair Blonde:
- First of all figure out if you are warm or cool toned. If the veins in your wrists are green and gold jewellery looks better on you, then you are warm toned. If your veins appear blue and silver jewellery looks better on you, then you are cool toned.
- You get three main tones of blonde in boxed hair dyes. They are ash (cool toned), gold (warm toned) and neutral. You can choose one that matches your skin tone.
- To have a more natural look, you can choose hair dye that is one or two shades lighter than your natural hair colour.
- You may also mix two shades together and make your own custom shade of blonde. Remember to mix gold toned shades with neutral one. Never mix gold and ash shade together. The tonal difference between them is drastic.
- One more thing to keep in mind is that the shade numbers of the 2 colours should match. If you are going for 6G (golden shade), then the neutral shade should be 6N.
- Never mix dyes from two different brands.
- If you want to go more than a couple of shades lighter than your natural hair colour, then you will have to bleach your hair to get rid of the colour before you dye hair.
What you need:
- 2 boxes of blonde hair dye (buy two different shades if you are mixing 2 different shades).
- Old t-shirt or towel
- Sectioning clips
- Hair brush
- Petroleum jelly
- Hair colouring brush
- Rubber/plastic gloves
- Shower cap
- Fine toothed comb
How to Dye your Hair Blonde?
Put on your old t-shirt or towel:
If you wear your good clothes and dye, it may get stained. So, to avoid it, put on your old t-shirt or drape an old towel around your shoulders.
Mix your blonde hair dye in a bowl:
Take out the contents from ten packet and mix them well in a bowl using your hair colouring brush.
Do a strand test:
Test out the dye on a small ½ inch section of your hair, so that you can make sure that you are using the blonde shade that you want on your hair. This will help you find out how long to keep the dye on your hair to get the shade of blonde you want.
Brush out your hair:
Brush your air well to remove all knots on your hair before you dye.
Divide your hair into 4 sections:
Part your hair down the middle and continue till the nape of your neck. Then part your hair from ear to ear. Roll up three of these sections and use clips to secure them. Dye one of your front sections first. It is better to dye your front sections first as they are most visible and the ones that frame your face.
Apply petroleum jelly all along your hairline:
This prevents the dye from staining your face. You can also apply them on your ears.
Put on your rubber/plastic gloves:
This helps in preventing your hands from getting stained with the dye as you colour your hair.
Start dyeing your hair right from the roots with a hair colouring brush:
Hair near the roots require longest time for the colour to develop. So, apply the dye first on the roots and then run a comb through that section of hair to pull the colour down. Keep applying it and combing down till your hair is properly covered from roots to the ends.
Take your time applying dye to all your hair:
Apply methodically by picking up 1 inch sections of hair at a time and applying the dye. This way the colour will penetrate fully and will not leave patches of uncoloured hair after you have completed dyeing.
Leave the dye for the duration indicated on the box:
Follow the instructions given on the box. Roll up your hair and out on a shower cap. Leave it for the time indicated on the box. Usually it is between 30 to 45 minutes. After 20 minutes you can start checking your colour by removing a little of the dye from a section of hair at the back. You can keep checking every 5 minutes till you get the desired colour.
Wash out the colour from your hair:
Wash your hair with water, till the water from your hair runs clear. This way you will be able to get rid of all chemicals from your hair. Then you can use a shampoo that is specifically made for dyed blonde hair. Condition your hair with the one that comes with your hair dye. You should not wash your hair for the next two days. This way the colour will set in completely.
Once you have dyed your hair, you have to maintain it. It is as follows:
How to Maintain Blonde Hair?
- Use sulphate-free shampoo and conditioner that have been specially made for dyed blonde hair. These products help in maintaining the brightness of your hair and prevent your hair from developing a brassy tone.
- Put oil on your hair for at last once a week. This helps in moisturizing your hair as the hair dyes may remove moisture from your hair and make it dry and brittle.
- Touch up the roots of your hair every few months, so that the natural hair colour can be covered with the blonde colour before it starts showing.
Now that you have seen how to dye your hair blonde at home, try it out today itself and get the shade that you wanted.