Jaggery (Gur) Benefits and Uses for Skin, Hair and Health
Jaggery is known for its numerous health benefits. It is healthier than refined sugar because of the presence of some plant phytochemicals and minerals in it. In jaggery, sugar is present in the sucrose form. It is beneficial for your health as well as your skin.
Benefits of Jaggery for Skin and Hair:
Nourishes the skin:
Jaggery is a rich source of minerals and vitamins. As a result, it keeps your body well nourished and keeps your skin healthy. When enough nourishment is provided to your skin, the skin remains healthy and glowing.
Treats acne and pimples:
By consuming jaggery, you can prevent various skin problems like acne and pimples. It keeps your skin free from blemishes and also slows down the signs of aging like dark spots, fine lines, wrinkles and so on.
Jaggery is very rich in iron and When this iron is properly absorbed by the body, it helps in making your hair strong and healthy there by boosting your hair growth.
Health and Medicinal Benefits of Jaggery:
Jaggery is very effective for keeping your digestive system healthy and in proper condition.
- Prevents digestive disorders: Jaggery is very effective for the proper functioning of your digestive system. It improves digestion and prevents various digestive issues.
- Boosts secretion of digestive enzymes: Jaggery helps in stimulating the secretion of digestive enzymes and it gets converted to acetic acid. As a result, it helps in making the digestive process faster, as the load on the digestive tract gets reduced.
- Regulates bowel movement: Along with improving the digestive process, jaggery also helps in regulating the movement of bowel in the digestive tract. This way it prevents various problems like constipation, indigestion, flatulence, intestinal worms and so on.
- Purifies blood: Jaggery has the power to purify your blood. So, consume it regularly to purify your blood and have a healthy body.
- Prevents blood diseases and disorders: Consuming jaggery is an excellent way to increase the cunt of haemoglobin in the blood. It is also good for giving a boost to immunity. This in turn helps in preventing blood diseases and disorders of the blood.
- Prevents anaemia: Being a rich source of iron and folates, jaggery helps in preventing anaemia by maintaining normal levels of red blood cells in the body. This makes it very beneficial for pregnant women. Consuming jaggery is also good for preventing fatigue and to provide instant energy to your body.
- Treats menstrual problems: Jaggery is a rich source of many of the essential nutrients needed for the body. This makes it effective for treating many menstrual problems naturally. It is also good for treating cramps and stomach ache that you experience during menstruation.
For Weight Loss:
- Boosts body metabolism: Jaggery contains potassium in high amounts. This mineral is needed for balancing electrolytes, and for building up the muscles. It is also good for improving the metabolism. These properties make jaggery very effective for losing weight.
- Reduces retention of water: Water retention can be a great problem when you try to lose weight. Jaggery, as mentioned earlier, is rich in potassium and other essential minerals. This can help in reducing water retention. As a result, you will be able to lose weight and manage your weight.
- Jaggery is a good cleanser and helps in removing toxins from your body by cleansing your lungs, respiratory tract, stomach, intestine and the food pipe. By removing the toxins and impurities from your body, it provides you relief from constipation and other problems related with your health.
- Jiggery is great for the proper functioning of your digestive system. Moreover, it is rich in magnesium and this helps in increasing the strength of your intestine. By consuming 10 gm of jaggery, you will get 16 gm of magnesium, which is 4% of the magnesium that you require daily.
- Jiggery helps in maintaining the acid levels in the body as it is rich in potassium and sodium. It is also good for maintaining blood pressure within normal levels.
- Many of the natural properties of jaggery aid in ensuring normal functioning of the nervous system and keeping your nervous system healthy. This way it helps in preventing various disorders of the nervous system.
- Being rich in antioxidants, especially selenium, jiggery can protect your body from the harmful actions of free radicals in your body. This way it slows down the signs of aging and protects your body from various diseases and ailments.
- If you are suffering from cough and cold, jaggery can provide you relief. You can eat it in the raw form to teat cough and cold. You may also mix it with tea or warm water and consume it. It is effective for headaches and migraines as well.
- Consuming jaggery regularly can provide you relief from the pain experienced in your joints. The best way is to eat it with a piece of ginger. By drinking a glass of milk with jaggery added to it, you can make your bones stronger and prevent problems of the joints and the bones.
- If you are suffering from respiratory problems like asthma, bronchitis and so on, you can treat them by consuming jaggery regularly. You can mix it with sesame seeds and consume it. This is great for the respiratory system.
- If you feel weak and lazy, consume a piece of jaggery. This will provide you instant energy.
- Liver is the organ that helps in removing toxins and other impurities from the body. Jiggery is a natural cleanser and therefore helps in reducing the workload of your liver, so that it can function properly.
- Jaggery can maintain the normal temperature of the body. This way it keeps your stomach cool. It is suggested that you eat a piece of jaggery every day, particularly in summer.
- By consuming a small piece of jaggery daily, you can prevent PMS, which is caused due to fluctuation in hormone levels. Jaggery causes release of endorphins, known as the happy hormones. These hormones help in making your body relaxed and making you feel good.