How to do Marjariasana / Cat Pose: Caution, Tips & Benefits
Yoga asana includes different types of poses and offers you a lot of benefits. It is one of the oldest forms of exercising techniques in India. Now yoga has become well known in other parts of the world also and is practiced by people from all over the world. It is an excellent way to get relief from stress and to lead a peaceful life. Marjariasana is a popular yoga asana and it is quite simple to learn. Marjariasana is taken from the Sanskrit word, in which ‘marjara’ means ‘cat’ and ‘asana ‘means ‘pose’. This is one of the easiest asanas and you can learn it without any difficulty. To perform this asana, follow the steps given below:
Image credits: theartofyoga
Steps to do Cat Stretch Pose Yoga:
- Sit on the yoga mat in Vajrasana pose and then get into a table top position by placing your hands and knees on the floor and supporting your body on your hands and knees. When you take this pose, make sure that your knees are directly below your hips and your wrists, elbows and shoulders lie on a straight line, which is perpendicular to the floor. Look straight in the front direction.
- Next you have to inhale and look in the upward direction. To do this, raise your chin upwards slightly, so that your head gets lifted in the upward direction automatically.
- Now you must try to push your stomach and navel in the downward direction. Lift up your tailbone/buttocks as you do this. This pose is called cat position or Marjariasana.
- Remain in this position for 30 seconds and as you hold on to this pose, exhale and inhale completely. After 30 seconds you can release your body from this position.
- Now you have to tilt your head and bend it backwards. Lift your upper back and stretch it towards the ceiling a much as it is possible for you without applying much pressure on your body. As you do this, stretch your hands also. But you must not move your hands from the ground. Remember to keep the position of your knees and hand the same.
- After attaining this pose, you have to come back to the table top position again and then into the Vajrasana pose.
- Repeat this about 10 to 15 times a day. This will help your to stay away from back pain.
- Never forget to inhale and exhale as you do this asana.
- Do this pose slowly and gracefully. This way the effect is more powerful.
- After doing this yoga asana, you may rest in Child’s pose. This will be beneficial to your body and relaxes you completely.
When you practice this pose, you may find it slightly difficult to round up the top of your upper back. In such a case, you can ask your friend to place his/her hand on your back, between your shoulder blades. This helps you to activate that area. You can also practice it under an experienced yoga teacher, so that you do it in the right way.
Cat Pose Caution or Contraindications:
Even though Marjariasana is a simple type of yoga asana, you must take the necessary precautions, so that no injury of the body occurs when you do this asana. When you stretch your body, make sure that you stretch it only within your capacity. Never stretch your body beyond the limit. This can cause body pain and muscle pain. If you are suffering from any neck injury, you must make sure that you keep your head in line with your torso. Practicing under a trained yoga teacher is always good for you as he will teach you how to do it in the proper way without applying much stress on your body. People who have a knee injury or pain in the knee are advised not to practice Marjariasana. If you have any medical conditions, consult your doctor or a yoga teacher before you try doing this asana. The will help you to choose yoga asanas suitable for you. Before you start doing difficult yoga poses, do preparatory poses so that your body and muscles become flexible and ready to do the complex yoga asanas.
Benefits of the Cat Pose:
By practicing this yoga regularly you can make your spine flexible and improve your posture. This asana provides you protection from spine related problems and back problems. Do this yoga daily and you can make your wrists, shoulders and knees strong. You can also improve your digestive system and it’s functioning by doing the cat pose. Cat pose is an ideal posture for enhancing the capacity of your lungs. Moreover, this pose helps in increasing the circulation of blood in your body. Another benefit of doing Marjarsana, which most of the people are not well aware of, is that it has a great role in purifying your blood. You can tone the muscles of your abdomen by practicing Marjariasana. Doing the cat pose is an excellent way to offer a gentle massage to the organs of your abdomen. In addition, cat pose is also good for giving a good massage for your lower back and the upper back.
Cat pose is included in many of the workouts that are meant for reducing stress. Doing cat pose regularly helps you to get relief from stress and stress related problems. One thing to remember is that you must do this asana in the correct way. This way you get the maximum benefits.
So, now you know how to do this asana and what benefits this asana offers you. So do the cat pose regularly to enjoy its benefits and to lead a healthy life. Doing this asana daily will make you healthy and fit both physically and mentally. You will feel relaxed and will be able to concentrate more on your work.