How to Do Raja Yoga Meditation – Postures, Levels & Benefits
Meditation provides you peace of mind and divinity. It also has many other benefits. Meditation is good for improving your health and also aids in reducing weight. Regular practice of meditation can also build leadership qualities in you. It has healing properties and can improve your concentration levels. By meditating daily, you will feel rejuvenated. It can also increase your inner strength. Raja yoga meditation is one such form of meditation with the above said qualities. Raja yoga meditation is perfect for beginners.
How to do Raja Yoga Meditation?
- You need to take about 20 minutes form your busy schedule to practice this meditation. You can do it in the morning or in the evening, according to your convenience.
- Sit in a quiet place and relax your mind and body. Try to forget your worries, tensions and try to concentrate on one point.
- Do not let any other though invade your mind. Just try to keep yourself calm and peaceful. All that you have to remember is to relax.
- Let positive thoughts come to your mind and close your eyes. Meditate with your eyes closed and try to bring positivity and divinity in your mind. Remain in this pose for about 20 minutes and then release slowly.
After you have learnt the art of meditation, you need to know what the real ingredients of meditation are. It is important that you know the main pillars on which meditation stands. Raja yoga consists of 8 levels or limbs or stages. This is also known as the eight-fold path of yoga.
The Eight Levels of Raja Yoga Postures are:
- Yama or self-restraint – This level involves your attitude towards the society. This level consists of all non-violence and peaceful virtues like ahimsa, satya and brahmacharya. Make sure that you are fair in what you do.
- Niyama or Observance/Adherence – Niyama is to observe your inner self. Your commitment towards the divine world. This means you have to know well the person that resides in you. You have to try to understand your soul and attitude yourself. Niyama includes purity, self learning, devotion towards the lord, satisfaction and simplicity.
- Asana or postures (poses) – Asana is an important part of Raja yoga. As you know, meditation is very important, but when you do it with the right postures and right mudras, you will be able to generate positive energy. This helps in curing various types of illnesses and eliminating worries and tensions. Practice those asanas with which you are comfortable.
- Pranayama or breathing exercises – In order to practice meditation, it is important for you to know about pranayama. Pranayama is a yogic practice in which you learn to control and monitor your breath. There are various types of pranayama. The basic pranayama is to fill your lungs with air by fully and slowly taking in breath. Once your lungs are full of air, you can exhale slowly till all the air is expelled out f your lungs. You can repeat it a number of times.
- Pratyahara or to withdraw your sense – Then you practice meditation, it is important that you break away from the world. This means that you have to detach yourself from the outside world and concentrate completely on your inner self, so that you get closes to God. For achieving this level, you have to slowly withdraw your 5 senses from the environment surrounding you. Once you learn to withdraw all your senses form your surroundings, you will enter this level. This is important if you want to experience spirituality when you practice meditation.
- Dharana or meditation – Dharana is a level in which you have to concentrate on the divine aspect and think about God. Keep on concentrating till you feel that you are completely wrapped up in these thoughts. This is a point where you actually start to meditate.
- Samadhi or being one with the God – Samadhi is the final step of level in Raja yoga meditation. When you reach this level, you are completely immersed in the divinity. When you reach this point, you are no longer yourself. You are permanently attached to the God.
Benefits of Raja Yoga Meditation Technique:
- Raja Yoga meditation helps in giving you peace of mind.
- Practicing this meditation technique regularly is an excellent way to relax your body. It also provides relaxation to your mind and soul.
- You will be able to learn new attitudes and responses to life with raja yoga meditation.
- Practicing raja yoga meditation is excellent for maintaining positive relationships with people.
- You will achieve a deep sense of self-wroth by practicing Raja yoga meditation regularly. So, if you have a low self-esteem, this meditation can help you think better of yourself
- You can increase your concentration with raja yoga meditation. This way you will be able to concentrate better on what you are doing. This in turn can help in increasing your performance in work, studies etc.
- Raja yoga meditation helps in providing you a clearer sense of purpose.
- Your inner stability and contentment will be increased with regular practice of Raja yoga meditation.
- You can overcome negative habits with Raja yoga.
- If you want to improve the quality of sleep, Raja Yoga meditation is the right option for you.
So, practice Raja Yoga meditation regularly and enjoy the benefits that you get from it. It is perfect for those who want to experience eternal peace and divinity.