Rosemary Oil for Hair Growth – Benefits and How to use?
It is not an easy task to make your hair grow well, especially if you have always had short hair. While growing your hair, it is important that you keep your hair damage free and healthy. This means that you have to take special care of your hair by applying oil on your hair, using good hair masks, cleansing it and preventing any other damage. Rosemary is one of the herbs that have been used from ages for getting healthy hair. It promotes hair growth by stimulating your scalp.
Rosemary for Hair Benefits:
According to the University of Maryland, rosemary is effective for not only promoting hair growth but also for delaying greying of hair. Here is a list of the benefits of rosemary for hair growth:
- When you suffer from hair loss, you are not able to grow your hair long. Applying rosemary oil on your hoard helps in improving the circulation of blood in the scalp and this in turn promotes hair growth.
- This oil is rich in nutrients and has anti-inflammatory properties. As a result, it keeps your hair well nourished and helps in soothing your scalp. The analgesic properties of rosemary are good for soothing inflamed scalps.
- If you have thin and lustreless hair, try applying rosemary oil and you will get thick and shiny hair with regular use.
- Rosemary oil has the ability to unclog the follicles and clean them. Clogged follicles are often the reason for dandruff in your hair for hair fall.
- Applying rosemary oil is an excellent remedy for preventing and for stopping the spread of grey hair.
- It is great for keeping your scalp well moisturized and to prevent flaking and dandruff.
- It removes the dirt and grime from your hair and repairs all damages on your hair.
How to Use Rosemary for Hair Growth?
DIY Leave-in-Conditioner(Rosemary leaves + Water):
Use rosemary leave-in conditioner o get soft and glossy hair.
- 1 tablespoon of rosemary leaves or 15 drops of rosemary essential oil
- 1 cup of water
- Tea infuser
- Spray bottle
- Boil 1 cup of water and add 15 drops of rosemary essential oil to the boiling water. You can also use dried rosemary leaves instead of oil and steep the leaves for 10 minutes.
- The steeped rosemary tea will have a pale green colour.
- Pour it into the spray bottle.
- Wash your hair and spray the mixture from the spray bottle while your hair is still damp. Make sure that you cover your hair and scalp well.
- Let your hair dry naturally.
- Drinking rosemary tea is also good for promoting hair growth.
DIY Rosemary hot oil treatment:
- 2 to 4 drops of rosemary essential oil
- 2 tablespoons of carrier oil like coconut oil, almond oil etc.
- Hot towel/Shower cap
- Mix rosemary oil with the carrier oil you have chosen and then heat it till is warm.
- Apply this mixture on your hair by parting your hair into sections and then massage for 10 minutes.
- Apply the oil along the length of your hair from the roots to the tips.
- Now you can wrap a hot towel around your hair and wait for 30 minutes. You may also put on a shower cap instead of hot towel.
- Rinse your hair with your regular shampoo followed with a conditioner.
- Wash well with cool water.
You can follow this method twice a week.
Rosemary Hair Rinse:
- 1 tablespoon of dried rosemary leaves
- 2 cups of water
- Add the rosemary leaves to the boiling water and boil for 15 minutes. Strain it and cool it.
- Wash and condition your hair and then pour the rosemary water through your hair as the final rinse. Massage your scalp for a few minutes.
The building up of dirt and product residue on your scalp can be the cause for slow hair growth. In that case you can use rosemary vinegar rinse.
- 1 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 3 to 4 sprigs of fresh rosemary leaves
- 2 cups of water
- Soak the crushed sprigs of rosemary in apple cider vinegar in a cool and dark place for 2 to 4 weeks.
- After 4 weeks, take 4 tablespoons of the rosemary vinegar and mix it with 2 cups of water.
- Use this as the final rinse when you wash your hair.
- Rosemary shampoo bar
- 1 tablespoon of dried rosemary
- 3 cups of water
- Take the water in a saucepan and add grated soap bar and dried rosemary to it.
- Cook it on a low flame till the shampoo bar dissolves completely.
- Cool the mixture and then transfer it to a shampoo dispenser. Use this instead of your regular shampoo.
Other Ways to use Rosemary for Hair Growth:
You can use rosemary with other carrier oils and essential oils to promote hair growth. Some of the oils you can use are:
Coconut oil has cooling properties and soothes your scalp. When used in combination with rosemary, it helps in keeping the scalp healthy, and nourishes the follicles and hair.
Olive oil in combination with rosemary works wonders for your hair. Olive oil has great moisturizing properties. It conditions your hair and helps to seal the cuticle without weighing your hair down. It also nourishes your scalp.
Peppermint oil can improve blood circulation, ensure the heath of scalp and promote hair growth. A combination of peppermint, sage and rosemary oil helps in giving you thick hair. Combine these oils with carrier oil like coconut oil or olive oil.
Sage oil is great for treating hair fall. It can treat male and female pattern of baldness. It can be combined with rosemary to promote hair growth.
Other oils that you can use in combination with rosemary are castor oil, jojoba oil, lavender oil, almond oil etc. Within a month of using this herb, you will start noticing that your hair has started to grow better.