Tamarind for Weight Loss – Facts, Benefits and Side Effects
Are you tired of trying various ways to get rid of those extra pounds you have gained? Here is a super ingredient that is right in your kitchen. It is nothing but tamarind! If you cannot believe, read on and you will see how this simple ingredient can help you lose weight.
Tamarind Nutrition Facts Information:
Tamarind belongs to the Fabaceae family and is a leguminous tree. It is found abundantly in tropical Asia. The scientific name of tamarind is Tamarindus indica. The fruits of tamarind are pod-like and edible. They are widely used in cuisines all over the world. Tamarind adds flavour to the food you prepare. It is often added to rice and fish. Even chutneys are made by adding tamarind.
It is rich in vitamins, carbohydrates, dietary fibre, volatile chemicals and minerals like copper, potassium, iron, calcium, selenium, magnesium and zinc. There are many organic compounds in tamarind that help in making tamarind a powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory agent.
Tamarind for Weight Loss:
Help stop overeating:
If you are gaining weight because you love to eat too much of food, and you are unable to control your eating, then tamarind is a good remedy. Tamarind controls you appetite and prevents you from overeating. This way you will be able to lose weight effectively.
Hydroxycitric acid(HCA) Presence:
Tamarind is rich in HCA – hydroxyl citric acid. This helps in slowing down the production of fat. HCA is very similar to citric acid. It is present in many other plants also. But in tamarind it is present abundantly. HCA has the power to prevent the action of the enzyme in the body responsible for the storage of fat. This acid is also very effective for suppressing your appetite. This it does so by increasing the levels of serotonin neurotransmitter. It can burn the fat in your body when you do exercise for long time. Research is still going on to check the effect of HCA on metabolism rates.
Keeps digestive system healthy:
You can make your digestive system function smoothly by consuming tamarind. This in turn ensures that you stay healthy and fit. The laxative property of tamarind make it great for increasing the process of digestion. You can have tamarind as a fruit or as a spice to improve digestion. The fibre present in tamarind adds bulk to your stool, thereby making its movement through the digestive tract smooth. By stimulating the activities of bile, it helps in digesting eh food you eat faster. The fibre also helps in faster digestion of food. Tamarind is effective for chronic diarrhoea as well as for constipation.
Tamarind is also a mild laxative. You can treat as well as prevent bile disorders by consuming tamarind juice.
Other Important Benefits of Tamarind:
- Other than helping you lose weight, tamarind also offers you a number of other benefits as it is rich in vitamins, fibre and minerals.
- If you are suffering from sore throat, tamarind is a good remedy to get relief from it.
- Tamarind also has the power to fight against cancer. Tamarind is a rich source of antioxidants which can help in preventing as well as combating cancer.
- Tamarind is loaded with Vitamin C. So, consuming tamarind is great for curing scurvy. It can also provide you relief from various health problems caused due to the lack of Vitamin C in the body.
- Inflammation on the ankles and pain in the joints can be cured by consuming tamarind. It can also provide you relief from eye irritation. Conjunctivitis can be treated with tamarind.
- If you are suffering from superficial burns, apply tamarind over the burns. This will help in the faster healing of burns.
- Tamarind is good for preventing anaemia. This is because tamarind is rich in iron. Iron helps in increasing the number of red blood cells in the body. So consume tamarind regularly for keep away anaemia. With increase in red blood cells, there is so an increase in blood circulation.
- Studies made have shown that tamarind is great for reducing blood pressure and cholesterol. The fibre in tamarind helps in removing excess of LDL cholesterol from the veins and arteries. The potassium in tamarind aids in reducing blood pressure.
- Vitamin C and other antioxidants in tamarind help in making your immune system strong. It can protect you from microbial and fungal infections. Its antiseptic and antimicrobial properties protect your body from parasites. It s also very beneficial for getting rid of stomach worms in children in tropical areas.
- Tamarind is good for controlling diabetes. When you have a diet containing carbohydrates in high amounts, the levels of insulin and glucose may increase uncontrollably. Tamarind has the power to control the fluctuations.
Tamarind Side Effects to Keep in Mind:
As you know, tamarind helps in lowering the blood pressure and it is a blood thinner. So, it may pose a problem when there is bleeding if you are wounded or anything else happens. You may find it difficult reduce bleeding. So you have to be very careful if you are taking aspirin or any other blood thinners. In that case you should be careful that you are not taking in excess of tamarind.
Tamarind is mostly known to the people because of its tangy taste. People hardly know the fact that it is also a good food for losing weight. So, start consuming tamarind and you will be able to maintain your weight. You will start getting positive results within a short time.