Top Yoga Breathing Techniques or Exercises for Weight Loss
The new rage among people all over the world is weight loss. People are ready to try anything for losing a few kilos. You can see people doing yoga, eating less food, going to the gym, dieting, aerobics and also dancing in order to shed those extra pounds and to slim down. But do you know, some breathing techniques can help you get slim without the need to do too much of exercises and dieting. These breathing techniques are easy to do and you need not do hard core workouts, which can give you body pains and muscle cramps.
Another good thing about this process of weight loss is that you need not buy any expensive exercise equipments for this. If you are still not able to believe that breathing exercise in yoga can help in losing weight, read on and see how it works.
- As you breathe in deeply, it helps in filling your lungs fresh oxygen. This oxygen gets transported to all parts of the body and each cell of the body. As a result, the oxidation is increased and this increases burning of fat cells. This way deep breathing helps in losing weight effectively.
- When you breathe deeply, the blood is able to take in more oxygen and the thus the amount carbon dioxide that leaves the body becomes lower than the oxygen taken in. this provides you more energy to perform all activities.
- Breathing exercises in yoga increases the metabolic activities of the body. Regulation of metabolic rate is made by thyroid gland. When you do deep breathing, the hormones that help in improving metabolism are released by the thyroid gland. As a result there is a loss in weight.
- Some specific breathing techniques in yoga helps in giving a good massage to your abdomen and this burns fat at a fast rate in the middle part.
Yoga Breathing Exercises for Weight Loss:
Anulom Vilom Pranayama:
- Sit with your legs crossed and your eyes closed. Relax all your muscles.
- Press your right nostril with your right hand thumb and breathe in through your left nostril.
- Count up to five before your release your breath.
- Now close your left nostril with your right hand ring finger and exhale through your right nostril.
- Again inhale through your right nostril as you keep your left nostril closed. Repeat the same process, but breathing out through the left nostril.
- So one round of pranayama is completed.
- Repeat for about 10 to 15 rounds.
- Do this before you have your breakfast and that too in fresh air. Pregnant women are not to do this exercise.
- Sit on the yoga mat in Padmasana, with your leg crosses, one over the other.
- Place your hands on the knees with your palms facing the ceiling. Press the tips of your thumb and ring finger together.
- Breathe normally and relax.
- Now you have to take in a deep breath with full force, so that your lungs are filled with the air you take in.
- Next you have to breathe out with force through your nose, so that a hissing sound is made.
- Repeat 5 to 10 times.
You have to consult a doctor before doing this exercise if you are suffering from any diseases of the heart.
- Sit on the mat cross legged, with your spine straight and eyes closed.
- Close both your ears with your thumb.
- Press lightly on both your eyes with your middle fingers.
- Use the index fingers to press your temples lightly.
- Yolur ring fingers and little fingers are to be placed on the bridge of your nose.
- Now you have to breathe in deeply through your nose. Exhale slowly through your nose and as you do so, make a humming sound and chant OM in your mind.
- You can do this exercise for 11 to 21 times.
This is also known as ‘Breath of fire’ technique and Guru Ramdev has made it very popular among the masses. It is very beneficial for weight loss.
- Sit on the yoga mat with your legs crossed.
- Close your eyes and then put your hands on your knees so that you are in a comfortable position.
- Keep your spine straight and elongate your spine and neck. Your chin should be up.
- Keep your abdominal muscles relaxed. Do not strain them in any way.
- Take in a deep breath and then exhale through your nose as if you are sniffing. When you sniff the air out, you will feel the inward pull of your abdomen.
- If you are new this exercise, you may practice it only 30 to 50 times. Then you can increase it slowly so that you can do it up to 5 to 10 minutes continuously.
You are not to do this exercise when you have periods. This exercise is also not recommended for those suffering from high blood pressure and heart diseases.
Pranayam includes deep breathing and fills all the cells with enough oxygen. Here we will discuss about some of the breathing exercises that help you to lose weight effectively.
Surya Namaskar or Sun Salutation:
This exercise consists of 12 steps. You must take care to breath in the proper way with each pose. Doing this exercise in the correct way with full concentration helps you lose weight and to tone up your body.
Seated Spinal twist:
This is also known as Ardha Matsyasana. This is good for your abdomen and back.
- Sit on the yoga mat and extend your legs in front of you.
- Now bend your right knee and try to bring your heels as close to your buttocks as much as it is possible for you.
- Next you have to fold your left knee and cross it over the right knee, so that the ankle of your left foot is just by the side of the knee of your right leg.
- Place your left arm behind you with the palm touching the floor.
- Touch the toes of your left foot with your right arm.
- Stay in this pose and take in a deep breath and stretch your spine.
- Twist the upper part of your body to the left while you exhale, and look over the left shoulder.
- Inhale and straighten your spine. Again exhale and twist your spine, take five breaths and then release from the twist.
- Next you have to twist to the other side in the same way.