Vitamin D Benefits and Uses for Skin, Hair and Health
Vitamin D is one of the important vitamins that are needed for the proper functioning of our body. First of all, let us see what Vitamin D is.
What is Vitamin D?
- Vitamin D is a group of steroids that enable your intestine to absorb phosphates and calcium properly.
- You do not get this vitamin form the food. It is made in the body in the presence of sunlight. So, it is important that you get enough sunlight to produce Vitamin D.
- People who get sufficient sunlight need not take any Vitamin D supplements as their body can produce the vitamin required.
There are 5 forms of Vitamin D, which are Vitamin D1, Vitamin D2, Vitamin D3, Vitamin D4 and Vitamin D5. Out of them, Vitamin D2 and D3 are considered most important.
Sources of Vitamin D:
You get Vitamin D in three ways, which are food, sunlight and supplements. If you do not spend much time outside and do not get enough sunlight, then your body may become deficient in Vitamin D and you will have to take Vitamin D supplements. Some of the foods that contain Vitamin D are Salmon, Tuna, Soy milk, Low fat milk, Orange juice, Cereals, Swiss cheese, Eggs and Low fat milk.
It is estimated that people above 70 years of age should consume 800 IU of Vitamin D per day and people below 70 years of age should consume 600 IU of Vitamin D per day.
Symptoms of Vitamin D Deficiency in children:
- Severe Vitamin D deficiency in babies cause muscle cramps, seizure and breathing problems. This is mainly due to low levels of calcium in the body.
- They also have soft brains and suffer from ‘Bow Legs’ or curved legs. Pain in the bones and muscle weakness are also common.
- Vitamin D deficiency affects the growth of children, especially growth in height. They also find trouble in walking.
- Developments of milk teeth is affected in children.
- They may suffer from irritability.
- Breathing is affected because of the weak chest muscles.
- Severe conditions of rickets may lead to calcium deficiency as well.
- There are also chances of heart muscles getting weak.
Vitamin D Deficiency Symptoms in Adults:
- People suffer from severe pain and weakness when there is deficiency of Vitamin D.
- Due to weak muscles, you may find it difficult to climb up stairs, get up from the floor or a low chair and so on. You may also walk in a waddling pattern.
- When pressure is applied on the bones, you may feel pain in the bones. Bone pain is also felt in the hips, lower back, pelvis, feet and the thighs.
- Hairline fracture may be caused on the bones, which can lead to tenderness and pain.
Benefits of Vitamin D for Skin:
Effective medicine to treat asthma:
It is good for treating asthma and reduces the severity and frequency of the symptoms of asthma.
Vitamin D2 and D3 are good for your skin and help in keeping your skin healthy.
Prevents skin aging:
It is also rich in antioxidants, which makes it good for preventing premature aging of the skin and skin damage. Adequate exposure of the skin ensures that your skin remains young and healthy. It is also advised by many medical practitioners to take Vitamin D supplements instead of exposing the skin to sun as it may cause cancer of the skin.
Repairs skin damage:
Vitamin D helps in rejuvenating your skin and helps in repairing damaged skin. It is also good for preventing infections.
Treats common skin diseases:
People suffering from eczema and rosasea also benefit by taking in enough of Vitamin D.
Vitamin D cream supplements help in treating psoriasis. This is one of the best benefits of Vitamin D for the skin. Symptoms of psoriasis may cause flaky and itchy skin. By applying Vitamin d cream on the affected areas, you will get relief from the symptoms of psoriasis.
Treats skin related problems:
The anti-inflammatory properties of Vitamin D3 makes it very effective for treating skin injuries, burns, stretch marks and skin damage. So, it is an important ingredient in many of the creams and lotions you use.
Benefits of Vitamin D for Hair:
Hair follicle cycling:
When vitamin D is present in the liver, it gets converted to calcidol, which is an active form of Vitamin D. This helps in regulating the cycle of the hair follicles.
Stops hair loss and promotes growth:
When you lack Vitamin D you may suffer from hair loss. This vitamin is found in the follicles of healthy hair but not found in unhealthy hair follicles. Depression and stress, which are also linked with hair loss, can also be treated with Vitamin D. Vitamin D helps promote hair growth.
Health and Medicinal Benefits of Vitamin D:
Boosts brain power:
Vitamin D can keep your brain active even at old age. It is also good for increasing your memory power.
Vitamin D enables the body to absorb other weight reducing nutrients, particularly calcium.
Central Nervous System:
People exposed to sufficient sunlight suffer less from multiple sclerosis.
Complete protection from Influenza:
Makes you immune system strong and protects you from common cold, flu and so on.
Good for cancer treatment:
Prevents cancer by preventing abnormal multiplication of the cancer cells.
Good for Children:
Children can improve their eyesight by spending a couple of hours outside daily, so that they get sufficient Vitamin D. This enables their growing eyeballs to grow properly and thus prevent nearsightedness.
Vitamin D is also good for the health of your heart.
Helps combat muscle pains:
Reduces respiratory infections and reduces stress and tension. It also regulates blood pressure and provides you relief from body aches and pains.
Makes immune system strong:
It enables the intestine to absorb nutrients, phosphorous and calcium and provides you strong bones. Your immune system is also made strong.
Maintains calcium levels in body:
Prevents arthritis by maintaining the balance of calcium in the body.
Treats muscular diseases:
Osteomalacia, which causes the muscular system to turn weak and bones to become brittle, is prevented by taking in sufficient amount of Vitamin D.