Benefits / Uses of Beetroot Juice for Skin, Hair and Health
Beetroot is red in color and is regarded as a ‘super food’ that is good for your health as well your skin and hair. Beetroot is also available in other colors like white, golden and also in multicolor. They became much popular after it was discovered that they are great sources of sugar. You can have beetroot in the cooked, boiled or baked form. It is also added to salads in the raw form and consumed. Another way to consume beetroot is to extract its juice and have it. It is naturally sweet and is full of nutrients needed for the body. You can also add the juices of other vegetables and fruits to it to increase its health benefits. Adding herbs to it adds more flavor to the juice.
Benefits of Beetroot Juice for Skin:
Drinking beetroot juice daily provides you all the essential nutrients and keeps your skin healthy and beautiful. Some of the beauty benefits of this juice are:
- You can prevent as well as cure acne, boils etc by drinking beetroot juice daily. The anti-inflammatory property of this juice helps in preventing breakout of acne and pimples.
- It is excellent for purifying your blood from within and flushes out toxins and excess water from the body. As a result, your face will get a healthy glow by drinking this juice. By having this juice regularly you will have a glowing and fair skin that is free from any blemishes. To keep your skin well hydrated and supple, you can apply this juice on the skin. It also removes dead skin cells and as a result the new cells that come to the surface imparts a radiant glow to the skin.
- Presence of antioxidants in beetroot helps in protecting the body from the harmful actions of the free radicals and thus prevents premature aging of the skin. So, drinking this juice is an excellent way to prevent wrinkles and fine lines on the skin. It contains lycopene, which helps in maintaining the elasticity of the skin and also protects the skin from the rays of the sun. So, your body is protected from skin cancer and sun burn by beetroot juice.
- Use beetroot juice as a mask and you will see that it gives your skin a pinkish hue. Mix 1 tablespoon each of beetroot juice and carrot juice and apply on your face. Wash off after 10 minutes.
- When you use multani mitti as a face mask to get a flawless and fair skin, you can add beetroot juice also to this mask. Use it regularly for one month and you will see that all dark spots and blemishes have vanished from your face.
Benefits of Beetroot Juice for Hair:
- Beetroot juice is a rich source of calcium, phosphorous, potassium, proteins as well as Vitamins B and C. All these are beneficial for increasing the circulation of blood in the scalp. This helps in better growth of the hair.
- If you have an itchy and dry scalp, beetroot juice is an excellent remedy as it has antipruritic properties. By mixing beetroot juice with vinegar, you can treat dandruff as well as psoriasis.
- Mixing beetroot juice with henna and using this mixture as a hair dye is a natural way to get auburn hues. This dye is free from any chemicals and hence good for your hair, keeping it beautiful and healthy. To get a reddish tint to your hair, use only beetroot juice.
- Mixing beetroot juice with ginger and massaging your scalp with this mixture is a good way to treat hair loss and baldness.
Health and Medicinal Benefits of Beetroot Juice:
- Research has shown that beetroot has anti-cancerous property. The betacyanin present in this vegetable can remove all toxins from the body and prevent the formation of cancerous tumors. It also has the ability to reverse cancers of the lung, skin, breast, prostate and testis, as well as leukemia. It provides relief to people suffering from stomach cancer also. Smokers benefit a lot by drinking beetroot juice as it helps in removing cancer forming agents from their body.
- Beetroot juice is good for your digestive health as well. It ensures proper movement of the bowel and also provides you relief from stomach acidity.
- The folic acid in beetroot juice is excellent for the fetus and prevents various birth defects. It also provides a pink skin tone to the new born baby. So, it is excellent for pregnant women.
- By drinking raw beet juice you can improve the health of your eyes as it is rich in carotenoids like lutein and zeaxanthin. Cooking them can destroy these carotenoids.
- Drinking beetroot juice daily helps in increasing your stamina and energy. This way you are able to do the workout harder and better, and also respond better to the exercise that you practice.
- Consuming beetroot juice is an effective way to prevent dementia and other age related ailments in elderly people. It widens the blood vessels, so that less oxygen is needed by the muscles for various physicals activities. As a result, old people are able to lead more active life.
- The high content of iron and antioxidants in beetroot juice ensure proper supply of blood to all parts of the body. Iron is essential for those suffering from anemia. Nitrates in beetroot juice increase the production of nitric oxide, which opens up the blood vessels and increases the flow of oxygen in the body.
- The betanin in beetroot juice helps in increasing the production of detoxifying enzymes in the liver and protect the liver from fatty depositions.
- People suffering from glandular fever or Epstein benefit a lot by drinking beetroot juice. It is also excellent for improving the immune system and makes you more active by reducing fatigue and increasing stamina and endurance.
- Beetroot juice is great for metabolism in obese people. People on a weight loss diet can include beetroot in their daily diet as it s full of fiber.
After consuming powdered beet juice for about six months, I went on holiday to a beach resort in Mexico. I didn’t use any sun screen and was in the sun for eight hours/day. I never burned, which is amazing, given I’m blonde and very fair complected. I’m convinced that drinking beet juice daily prevents sun burns and the aging effects of the sun.