Best Yoga Exercises or Asanas to Gain Weight
Most of us do yoga and other exercises to lose weight and have a slim body. But yoga is also good for those who want to gain weight. Many underweight people can do yoga and gain a healthy body and achieve a normal body weight. Yoga along with a nutritious diet can help you gain a fuller figure and look healthy and fit.
How to Gain Weight by doing Yoga?
Bhujangasana – Cobra pose:
This is a hatha yoga pose and helps in making your back strong and to get well toned abdominal muscles.
- First you have to lie on the mat with your face down. Keep your legs together, with the heels touching each other. Stretch your hands above your head.
- Now you have to move your palms slowly towards your shoulder, so that your palms are beneath your shoulder with your finger tips touching and in line with your shoulders.
- Lift your head so that you are looking at the ceiling. Inhale slowly as you do this. This pose must resemble a cobra with its raised hood. Stay in this pose for 30 to 60 seconds and your breathing must be normal
- Next breathe out and roll down your body, so that you get back to your original position. Your chest, neck and then your forehead must touch the ground. Slowly stretch your arms.
Repeat this three times. Keep a 15 second gap each time you do this pose.
Matsyasana – Fish pose:
Image credits: Flickr
Practicing this asana with the other asanas mentioned above will helps your body to absorb more nutrients from the food you consume. This asana ensures that you gain weight evenly. It is a simple pose and can be done without any difficulty.
- Lie down in a supine position and let your feet come close to each other.
- Keep your hands with palms facing down, on either side of your body.
- Now you have to move your hands slowly in such a way that they come beneath your buttocks.
- Arch your spine by pressing your elbows on the floor. As you arch you spine, tilt your head backwards, so that it can rest on the ground.
- Gaze in a direction opposite to your toes. In order to avoid any injuries, you can keep a support beneath you.
- Stay in this pose for 30 to 60 seconds and breathe normally.
- Exhale slowly and get back to the original position.
You can do this three times and keep a gap of 15 seconds each time you do it.
Pavanamuktasana – Wind-relieving pose:
This asana is excellent for treating gastric problems, indigestion and constipation. With improved digestion, the ability of your body to absorb nutrients also increases.
- Lie in supine position with your feet stretched out and the heels touching each other. Let your arms stay on the sides of your body.
- Bend your knees and inhale deeply. Slowly bring your folded knees to your chest as you breath out deeply. Let your thighs apply pressure on your abdomen when you do this pose. Keep your knees in position by clasping your hands around your knees.
- Next you have to inhale and then exhale as you try to lift your chin up to touch your knees with your chin. After touching the knee with your chin, remain in this pose for 30 to 60 seconds. Breathe deeply as you stay in this pose.
- Breathe out slowly and bring your head back to the floor and remove your hands from the knees.
- Let your body attain Savasana pose and then relax.
Sarvangasana – Shoulder stand pose:
Image credits: Flickr
You have to be very careful when you do this pose. This is good for increasing the functioning of thyroid glands and thus beneficial for those suffering from hyperthyroidism. This in turn helps you to gain weight by increasing the metabolism.
- Lie in prone position and take in a deep breath. Next you have to inhale and lift your legs up till they are right angles to the floor.
- Raise your waist as you exhale and try to stretch your legs up, so that your whole body, except your upper arm, head and shoulders, is lifted up.
- You can give support to your waist with your hands.
- Stay in this pose for 30 to 60 seconds and then exhale slowly as you bend your knees, curve your back and return to your initial position. You must do this gently and slowly.
Savasana – Corpse pose:
- This asana is the easiest pose in yogasana and is usually done after doing all other asanas. This relaxes your body.
- Lie down on your back.
- Bring your feet close together.
- Let your arms remain on either side of your body, with the palms facing downwards.
- Close your eyes and relax.
- Inhale and exhale deeply and relax your body fully.
You can stay in this pose as much as you want to, till you feel fully calm and relaxed.
Vajrasana – Diamond pose:
Many yoga practitioners also call this pose ‘thunderbolt pose’ because it greatly helps in improving digestion and helps the body to absorb more nutrients from the food you eat. As a result, you succeed in gaining weight.
- Sit on the floor in such a way that your buttocks are placed comfortably on your heels.
- Let your palms rest on your thighs. Let the palms point downwards and keep them in Gyan mudra.
- Keep your back straight.
- Stay in this pose for about 60 to 180 seconds, and while you to remain in this pose, inhale and exhale deeply.
Practicing these yoga poses regularly will help you gain weight after a few weeks. But along with these exercises, it is also important that you consume nutritious food, so that your body gets all the nutrients it needs and helps in gaining weight.