Body Massage Oil Types and their Health Benefits
Body massage makes you feel rejuvenated and lively. It is not only good for the body, but also rejuvenates your mind and the soul. Most important part of body massage is the massaging oil. The pleasant and aromatic smell of the oil is what makes your body massage complete.
Wellness centers and spas use various types of body massage oils. Some are regular oils while others are exotic and more expensive oils. Generally you get massage oils made of sweet almond or avocado in the health stores. Spas and health care centers mix two or more oils in the correct proportions and use it as the massage oil.
Here are some body massage oils that are used in most of the massage centers. They are used alone or mixed with other oils.
Best Body Massage Oils and their Benefits:
Benefits of Avocado oil for Massage:
Avocado oil is extracted by pressing the avocado fruit. It is heavy and greenish in color. Since it is heavy, it is often mixed with lighter oils like almond oil, jojoba oil and so on. Benefits of Avocado oil are:
- It has anti-bacterial, anti-microbial, anti-wrinkle and healing properties. It is good for removing age spots from the skin.
- You can treat rashes, eczema and parched skin with avocado oil because of its ability to penetrate deeply in to the skin and also because it is rich in Vitamins A and D, and potassium.
- It has regenerative and restructuring properties because of the presence of Vitamins A, B1 and B2 in it. It is also a good moisturizer and helps in maintaining the elasticity of the skin.
- Although it is heavy in texture, the presence of lecithin and phytosterols in it allows it to get easily absorbed by the body. So, it is ideal for body massages.
- It improves cell regeneration by stimulating collagen metabolism.
How good is Coconut oil for body massage?
Generally coconut oil is thick and heavy. However, you can change this oil into light, non-greasy liquid oil by the process of fractionation. This converts it into better oil with a good texture.
- Fractionates coconut oil has medium-chain triglycerides in them, which is responsible for reducing its thickness and density, so that you get an oil that is light and relaxing.
- This oil has anti-microbial properties because of the presence of lauric acid and lacric acid in them. So, this oil is excellent for giving your skin protection from the attacks of harmful microbes.
- Coconut oil is also an excellent moisturizer because of its fatty acids. When you apply this oil on your skin, the layer of fatty acids covers your skin and prevents any moisture from escaping. This makes it great for those who have dry skin and cracked skin.
- It is also rich in Vitamin E, which is good for the skin. This helps in keeping your skin rejuvenated and fresh looking.
- Coconut oil is rich in antioxidants. This makes it very beneficial as an anti-aging agent. It fights against the free radicals in the body responsible for signs of aging like wrinkles, fine lines around the mouth, forehead and the eyes, age spots and so on. So, by using this as a body massage, your skin will stay young looking and glowing for a longer time.
- It is great for using in herbal and medical massage because of its ability to get easily absorbed in to the skin. So, it acts as great carrier oil and helps in transferring all the herbal extracts added to it inside the body.
Is Sweet almond oil safe for body massage?
Sweet almond is one of the most popular body massage oils used. It is pale yellow in color and is extracted from almonds.
- The oily texture of this oil makes it move smoothly over your skin. Although it is quite thick and oily, it is quickly absorbed by the skin. However, you need not apply the oil constantly when you massage your body with this oil.
- It is an excellent emollient. This means that it helps in providing you a smooth and soft skin by keeping your skin well hydrated.
- If you suffer from muscular aches and pains, apply this oil and you will get relief.
- Sweet almond oil is rich in oleic acid and lioleic acid. This makes it excellent carrier oil when you have a body massage.
Jojoba oil for body massage:
Jojoba oil is the wax that is extracted from the jojoba plant. It has a lot of benefits.
- The anti bacterial properties of jojoba oil make it a good remedy for back acne, allergies of the skin and most of the back problems.
- Jojoba oil looks very much like skin sebum as it consists of long chained wax esters. It helps in retaining the sebum by the body.
- If you have a burnt skin, jojoba oil is of great benefit. This is because of the myristic acid in this oil. The anti-inflammatory property of this oil makes it an effective moisturizer and helps in keeping your dry skin well moisturized.
What is Lemongrass massage oil Good for?
Lemon grass oil is taken from partly dried or fresh leaves of lemon grass. Steam distillation is the process used for extracting this oil. This oil is also known as Indian Verbena and is very effective for treating jet lag. It is excellent for revitalizing your tired body.
- Lemon grass oil is excellent for giving a boost to the functioning of parasympathetic nervous system and provides you immediate relief for headaches and other nervous problems.
- Various respiratory problems like flu, laryngitis and fever can be treated effectively by using lemon grass oil.
- This oil is also good for making your muscles supple, thus providing you relief from muscle tension. It is very effective for treating cramps, muscular tear and sprain.
Although these oils are natural and generally do not cause any side effects, some may face a few problems. Such people must be cautious and stop using it if any side effects are seen.
Massaging with these oils provides you smooth, soft and glowing skin and also improves your immune system. It also revitalizes your muscles and tired bones.