Feeling Sleepy All the Time? Ayurveda Reasons & Solutions
Are you worried about the way you feel sleepy and sluggish throughout the day? Usually you feel lethargic when you do not sleep properly the previous night. But sometimes even after you have a good sleep at night, you may feel lethargic and sleepy. It means that something is wrong. There can be something wrong and you need to solve it soon.
If not treated soon, this fatigue can lead to many other issues as follows:
- Body pain
- Difficulty to cope up with daily schedule
- Feeling bored
- Lack of sleep at night
- Lack of concentration on work or studies
- Not feeling interested in anything
- Stress and depression
Ayurvedic Remedies for Excessive Sleep:
You can feel sleepy the whole day due to various reasons. It can be due to physical changes or mental stress. Here are some of the reasons why you feel sleepy and lethargic throughout the day and the way how to get rid of this problem.
A few hidden diseases:
People suffering from some hidden diseases may also feel lethargic and sleepy the whole day. You may not be aware of them as they hardly show any symptoms. Diabetes is one such disease that can make you feel weak and sleepy all through the day. So, have periodic checkups of your body and make sure that you are not suffering from any hidden diseases.
A heavy meal:
Many of us think that by having a heavy meal we will be able to sleep better. But this is not correct. You must have a light dinner and that too at least 2 or 3 hours before you go to sleep. You can take the advice of a dietitian and have your meals accordingly.
Improper sleep schedule:
Improper sleep schedule is one of the most common reasons for feeling sleepy during the day. You are to have at least 6 to 7 hours of sleep at night to feel fresh and energetic throughout the day. You must also take care not to have caffeine, tea or coffee, about three to four hours before you go to sleep. This way you will feel fresh when you get up in the morning.
Stress, depression and anger can affect your sleep. It can change your sleep pattern and make you feel dull and lethargic. You may suffer from sleepless days and nights due to these problems. So, try to stay away from stress as much as it is possible for you. Always try to think positively and look at the positive side of things. If you face any problems in your relationships or work, try and solve it without any delay.
In case you cannot solve the problem yourself, you can talk to your family members and friends and seek their advice and suggestions. You may also go for professional counseling. This way you will be able to deal with your emotional problems easily.
The body type:
According to the principles of Ayurveda, we are born with different body types. There are 3 body types, which are kapha, pitta and vata. People with kapha body type need more sleep compared people with other body types. So, if you have this body type, then you must increase the number of hours you sleep. This way you will not feel sleepy when you get up next day and you will stay fresh and full of energy throughout the day.
The negative force of the body:
Some people never look at the brighter sides of things and always remain lethargic. It is their nature. If you are one of them, then you can change yourself by including yoga, prayers or any other practices. These will help in bringing positive thoughts in you.
Here are a few tips that will help you to feel fresh and active in the day time and have a sound sleep at night:
Simple Tips to Improve Your Sleep:
- Have foods that are full of nutrients and keep your body well nourished and hydrated. Remember to include lots of fruits in your daily diet.
- If you do not exercise your body, you may feel sleepy and lazy. Lack of workout can also cause many diseases. So, even if you do not go to gym or do rigorous workouts, try to give your body a simple workout regularly. Walking daily for 30 minutes to 1 hour is a good exercise. This will help in the proper supply of oxygen to all parts of your body. As a result, you will feel fresh and rejuvenated.
- Indigestion is one of the reasons for making you sleepy and lethargic. Try to avoid indigestion by including natural ingredients like ginger and pepper in your regular diet. These help in promoting digestion. You may also have ginger tea without adding milk. This can improve digestion.
- If you feel very sleepy during the day time, you can take a short nap in between. However, the time you sleep in between should not exceed 15 to 30 minutes. Too much of sleep can have a negative impact on your health.
- Make sure that you sit straight and you are alert. If the sitting posture is not correct, you may feel sleepy.
- Make sure that there is proper ventilation in your room. When fresh air enters your room, you will feel energetic automatically. So try to keep your room bright. When you stay in a dark room for long periods, secretion of melatonin may occur. This can make you sleepy.
- Practice breathing exercises like pranayama. Practicing yoga is also good. This can make you energetic and you will be able to use the energy in your body in a better way.
- Another think to keep in mind is to avoid smoking and consumption of alcohol.