High Protein Low Carb Diet Plan Foods and Benefits
A diet that is low in carbohydrates and high in protein is ideal for those who want to lose weight effectively. It also provides you with all the essential nutrients and increases your energy levels, and helps in satisfying your appetite.
Low Carb and High Protein Foods List:
Dairy products like yogurt, cheese and cottage cheese are good sources of protein. Yogurt is great for improving the health of the digestive system and cheese is beneficial for making your bones stronger as it is a rich source of calcium. Including at least one portion of these products can improve your health greatly.
Meat and fish:
Meat and fish are good examples of high-protein low-carb diet. This includes turkey, chicken breast, lamb, ham, steak, pork, veal, prawns, minced beef, crab, shrimps, salmon, tuna and so on. However, pork, lamb and beef are rich in saturated fats. So you should take limited amounts on these food items. However, you can have lean meat, white meat and fish daily. They are high in proteins but low in saturated fats, thus protecting you from the harmful effects of saturated fats, like heart diseases.
Nuts and seeds:
Nuts and seeds like almonds, sunflower seeds, walnuts, pistachios, pumpkin seeds and flax seeds are rich in protein. Make sure that you take only small portions of these nuts and seeds as they are rich in fats.
Other foods rich in protein and low in carbohydrates are tofu, beans, quinoa, peanut butter, peas, boiled eggs and so on.
How Does High-protein Low-carb Diet Benefit Your Body?
One of the main reasons for the ever increasing number of cancer worldwide is the poor life style and diet that we follow. A study on cancer has shown that by having a diet that is high in protein and low in carbohydrates, we can lot only lose weight, but also control the occurrence and multiplication of cancer cells.
Helps in achieving greater weight loss:
If your main aim is to lose weight, then this diet is perfect for you. Before you start on high-protein low-carb diet, consult your dietitian or doctor and get his/her advice.
Helps in the management of diabetes:
One of the health benefits of high-protein low-carb diet is that it helps in managing type-2 diabetes. This is because this diet can improve the glycolic control in patients suffering from type-2 diabetes and also help them get rid of a few pounds.
It reduces the perception of hunger:
Studies made have shown that a low-carb and high-protein diet can increase your resistance to cognitive eating and also lower the perception of hunger. As a result, you will be able to lose weight easily and faster.
May lower the risk of cognitive impairment in elderly people:
One of the most common dangers of high-carbohydrate diet is the increased dementia in elderly people. A Journal of Alzheimer’s disease has shown that by taking a diet in which the major source of calories are the carbs, and proteins and fats are the second sources of calories, the risk of cognitive impairment is increased.
Popular Low-Carb High Protein Diet Plans:
Atkins dirt is one of the ideal diets plans introduced recently for losing weight. It promotes consumption of low-carb foods, while emphasizing on taking in of increased amounts of proteins and fats. This diet plan consists of four phases. Instead of focusing on portion control and low calorie counting, this diet asks you to keep a track on how much carbohydrates you consume per day.
This diet was developed by Australian researchers and is a 12-week weight loss program. it consists of high proteins, low fat and moderate carbs. In order to lose weight effectively you have to follow this diet as well as perform exercise.
Low Carb High Protein Diet for Beginners:
When you follow a low-carb high-protein diet, you to keep in mind the following points:
- Always remember to have your protein from healthy foods and not from the foods that are rich in saturated fats.
- Do not completely avoid carbs from your food.
- Try to include fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet. This helps in keeping the high-protein low-carb diet well balanced.
- You can have foods rich in carbohydrates like potatoes, beets, sweet potatoes, carrots and corns in moderate amounts.
- Before you prepare a diet chart for yourself, it is important that you consult your doctor or dietitian and take their advice.
- To get the best results, you have to include physical exercise also as a part of the weight loss program. This combined with the diet you follow will give you amazing results.
- Make sure that you avoid packaged foods that are labeled ‘low-carbs’. The sugar alcohols that are used for preparing such foods are not very easy to digest. So, they can cause indigestion as well as bloating and diarrhea.
- The best way to keep a check on your carbohydrate intake is to include only complex carbs in your diet. Avoid refined carbohydrates. Complex carbohydrates have a high glycemic index. As a result they are absorbed in the blood slowly, thereby helping in avoiding blood sugar spikes.
Instead of following any diet that come and go, you develop a stable and reliable diet plan by including a wholesome, high-protein and low-carb diet. This will provide you all the benefits that you are looking for, and at the same time protect you from the dietary deficiencies and health issues. This diet will allow you to lose weight in a healthy way, while providing your body with all the essential nutrients that are needed for the proper functioning of various organs.