Milk of Magnesia for Oily Skin: How to Use, Benefits, Dos & Donts
Milk of magnesia or magnesium hydroxide is very effective for taking care of oily skin. It can remove excess oil from your skin and keep your skin smooth and fresh. You also get it in the tablet and liquid form.
How to Apply Milk of Magnesia:
- Before you apply milk of magnesia on your face, you have to cleanse your face properly. You can use a cleanser that is made especially for oily skin.
- Remove excess of moisture. Pat your face dry with a towel.
- Now take a cotton ball and apply this product on your face in a thin layer.
- It has a calamine lotion-like texture. So you have to use a small quantity of it on your skin.
- After you have applied it on your face, allow it to dry.
- If you are going out, then you can apply your regular make up.
- Put on a little loose powder on your face and this will give you a smoother skin.
Benefits of Milk of Magnesia for Oily Skin:
Cleanses your skin:
You can use milk of magnesia for solving problems related with oily skin. It also cleanses your skin very effectively.
Cleanser and toner:
You can use milk of magnesia as a toner as well as a cleanser. It is best for your skin and minimizes the size of the pores on your skin.
Controls extra shine:
Applying milk of magnesia on your skin can control the extra shine that is often common in people with oily skin. It acts as a mask on your skin and removes excess oil from your skin. So, if you have oily skin, apply milk of magnesia before you apply makeup and this will make your skin look normal and fresh.
Facial mask for oily skin:
Milk of magnesia is an excellent face pack for those who have oily skin. It has the ability to absorb the excess oil present on your skin and helps in balancing your complexion. It is also great for neutralizing the acids that may be present on your skin. It has the power to prevent outbreak of acne as well. Milk of magnesia is an effective natural ingredient that has the power to remove all impurities from your akin. All you have to do is to apply a thin layer of this product on your face and let it dry. When it is fully dry, you can wash your face with warm water.
Gently strips away the blackheads:
Most of you use nose strips and facial strips to remove blackheads. Instead of these strips you can use milk of magnesia to get rid of blackheads in a gentle way. For this you have to cover the areas affected with blackheads with milk of magnesia. Wait till it dries and then wash off with warm water. This is considered as one of the best ways to get rid of blackheads.
Milk of magnesia can kill bacteria present on your skin. So, it is very effective for preventing pimples and acne from appearing on your skin. It is also good for healing wounds as it contains zinc.
Removes oiliness and suntan:
Applying milk magnesia on your skin helps in making your skin lighter and healthier, giving it a natural glow. Apply it once a month to remove oiliness and to treat suntan.
Using milk of magnesia on your skin is good for preventing blemishes and also to treat skin irritations.
Those who suffer from skin rashes benefit a lot by applying milk of magnesia on the affected areas. This is because of its acidic properties, which help in neutralizing the acids that are responsible for causing skin rashes on oily skin. It is also a good disinfectant and prevents the spread of rashes on the skin. So, next time when there are rashes on your skin apply milk of magnesia on the affected areas and see how fast it gets healed.
Use as a primer:
Some use milk of magnesia as a primer. Applying this on your face makes your skin smooth and makes it ready for further makeup. The oil-blotting properties of milk of magnesia help in reducing the production of oil during the summers. It is also effective for curing seasonal outbreaks and other problems associated with oily skin. Applying this on the skin keeps your makeup stay fresh throughout the day. It keeps your skin look flawless and you do not need any touch-ups when you take photos. After you moisturize your skin, you can apply it as a thin layer and then continue your makeup.
Dos and Don’ts of Using Milk of Magnesia:
- Applying it can cause irritation and flakiness of the skin.
- After applying milk of magnesia on your skin, if you notice any side effects, then you must stop using it.
- Before you open the bottle of milk of magnesia, you have to shake it well.
- Do not use it very often. You can use it one or two times a week and not more than that.
- It can make your skin look chalky or whitish.
- If you have dry skin, never use it as it can make your skin drier and tighter.
- Milk of magnesia can cause dryness and tightness of the skin.
- Make sure that you use it only in small quantities to treat oily skin.
- Use this only if you have any problems because of your oily skin.