Natural Home Remedies for Itchy Red Eyes with Symptoms and Causes
Itching of eyes is a common issue faced by a number of people. It may cause great trouble and irritation too. Due to the pollution these days, your itching could even get worse. Here are a few home remedies that you must try out in case of any irritations. Do not leave it on to get worse. These tips have no side effects and are absolutely safe, too. First of all, let us see what you have to do primarily to cure itching eyes.
What to do for red itchy eyes: First-aid
Whenever there is an itchy sensation felt near your eyes remember that, you should never rub your eyes as it is bad and causes more irritation and damage, making the problem even worse than expected. Instead use some cold water in first place to wash off the dust in your eyes which will give some relief. You may also use a white cloth soaked in cold water over your eyes for some easing.
What causes your eyes itching infection all the time?
- Pollen allergy is a main cause for allergic conjunctivitis which cause itching and also redness of eyes.
- Dryness of eyes is another main reason for itching eyes.
- Eczema, asthma or allergic rhinitis.
- Using contact lenses and lack of proper hygiene while handling them could cause your eyes to become itchy and may even lead to conjunctivitis.
- Infection due to bacteria.
- Warm climate and pet dander could increase the itchiness.
- Some cosmetic products could become allergic and cause itching.
Some Common Symptoms and Causes of Itchy Eyes:
- Burning sensation
- Continuous itching
- Runny eyes
- Inflammation of eyelids
- Inflamed conjunctiva
- Irritation and redness of eyes and eyelids
- Light sensitivity
- Eye discharge
Some Quick Home Remedies to Get Rid of Itching Eyes:
Drink lots of water and keep your body well hydrated. This is necessary to stay healthy. Your eyes get hydrated if you have at least 10 to 12 glasses of water a day. This, in turn, prevents any itching in your eyes.
Make a mixture of Aloe Vera juice, half a cup of elderberry blossom tea and a teaspoon of honey to rinse your eyes. Repeat this twice daily to get rid of itchy eyes.
Cucumber is great at cooling and soothing your eyes. Swelling is reduced and you get relief from irritation.
- Make thin slices of cucumber after cleaning it well.
- Keep it in the refrigerator for 20 minutes and place it over your eyes.
- Repeating this four or five times daily gives relief.
- Mix two teaspoons of Goldenseal herb powder in a cup of water.
- Boil the liquid and use it as a warm compress.
- This solution is also a good eye drop. Put two or three drops of it in your eyes thrice daily.
Grind fenugreek seeds after soaking in water for 10 hours. Make a smooth paste and apply it on top of your eyes. After 20 minutes, wash it off. Performing this procedure twice daily gives relief.
Milk helps cure itching eyes.
- Dip a cotton ball in a glass of cold milk.
- Rub around your eyes using it.
- Use it as a cold compress over your eyes for 15 to 20 minutes. It cools and soothes your eyes.
- Repeating this three times daily shows effective results.
Salt and Water:
This is an age old remedy to treat the eyes.
- Add a teaspoon of salt to a cup of distilled water and use it as eyewash.
- Boil this liquid to dissolve all the soil.
- After cooling down to room temperature, wash your eyes with it.
- Soak cotton balls in witch hazel to use as a cold compress, and let it stay for some time. You could also use a gauze pad instead.
- Repeating this thrice daily reduces swelling in your eyes as witch hazel has got astringent properties.
Castor oil helps treat a number of eye issues.
- Take a clean eye dropper and suck castor oil in to it.
- Put one drop of castor oil in each eye and repeat it three or four times daily. It soothes your eyes and reduces swelling.
Cold compress helps treat itching and redness of eyes. The best remedy is to use chamomile tea bags for this purpose.
- Take a cloth and put in ice cold water to put over your eyes.
- Take chilled chamomile bags and put it over your eyes.
- Repeat the process three or four times daily to relieve itchy eyes.
Take come potato slices and cool them in the refrigerator for some time. Place them on your eyes for about 30 minutes. Repeating this three times daily cures itching.
The anti inflammatory properties of green tea give instant relief from itching eyes.
- Take 2 green tea bags and boil in distilled water.
- After cooling, wash your eyes with it.
- Repeat the eye wash process two or three times daily. It flushes away all toxins and helps get rid of all the symptoms of itchy eyes.
Apple Cider Vinegar:
The antiseptic and antibacterial properties of apple cider vinegar fight all kinds of infections that cause itchiness of eyes.
- Add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to a cup of water and make a solution.
- Wash your eyes with the solution. It relieves you from irritation of eyes and itching also.
Baking soda is another product that effectively treats itching eyes and fights infections in your eyes. It soothes your eyes and leaves it feeling fresh.
- Add a quarter of a teaspoon of baking soda to half a cup of water and make a solution.
- Use this solution as an eye wash. By washing thoroughly, your eyes feel fresh. It soothes your eyes and prevents itching.
Carrot juice or spinach juice when taken raw are great for solving the problem of itchy eyes. You could also mix both the juices and have it twice daily.
Make use of all these simple and easy home remedies to cure itching eyes and soothe them. Eyes are a very important organ, and any infection of your eye should never be neglected.
Caution and Warning Signs you should never ignore:
The above tips works well if you are suffering from normal itching problem near your eyes. However, if you are experiencing difficulties in seeing a flashing light or unable to blink eyes properly or having extreme sensitivity towards seeing light or the itching is severe; consult your eye doctor without any further delay to find out the underlying cause, as all these may be the indications towards serious eye problem you might be having.
Also some people have the habit of using any eye drops without the prescription from eye doctor. Not all eye drops are the best medicines for your eyes and at times can be anti-beneficial as well. Remember that you should never take second chance with your vision. Take care of those lovely eyes to see this beautiful world 🙂