Poppy Seeds Benefits and Uses for Skin Hair and Health
Poppy seed is the oil seed that you get from the poppy plants and it is used as flavoring agent in breads, cakes, cookies and rolls. They are also sprinkled on tops of various dishes. You can garnish your food with poppy seeds. They can also add some spice to eggs, pie crust, farm cheese, cheese, cookies, salads, sauces, curries, fish, meat, noodles and vegetables.
When you cook it in a dry frying pan, you will get the nutty flavor of this seed. In India people add this to dal and raita and also as ‘tadka’. Poppy seeds also give you flavored oil, which is rich in nutrition. Poppy seeds have lots of health benefits as well as hair and skin benefits.
Benefits of Poppy Seeds for Skin:
Poppy seeds have amazing beauty benefits. They are even used in ayurveda for skin care treatments.
Treatment of eczema and inflammation:
Poppy seeds are rich sources of linoleic acid. So they are very effective for treating eczema. Soak poppy seeds in water or milk for a while and then grind it well to get a smooth paste. Add a few drops of lemon juice also and apply this mixture on the skin. This will get you relief from the burning sensation and itchiness of the skin you feel. It is also good for getting you relief from the pain you feel due to inflammation of the skin.
Works as a good moisturizer:
- Make a paste of poppy seeds and this is a good moisturizer. Applying this on your skin will keep your skin hydrated and makes it smooth and soft.
- To make the paste, put some poppy seeds in a spice hand grinder and then pour some milk in to it.
- If your skin is dry, add some honey to the paste and this will; help in keeping your skin moisturized.
- Grind all the ingredients well so that you get a smooth paste. Apply this paste on your face.
- Wait for about 10 minutes and then you can wash your face with plain water.
- Try to treat your skin this way once in a week. With regular use, you will see that your skin has got a fragile transparency.
Poppy seeds scrub for getting clear skin:
Scrubbing is good for exfoliating your skin and to remove all impurities from the skin.
- To make a scrub using poppy seeds, you need 2 teaspoons of poppy seeds and some curd.
- Mix them well and rub this mixture gently on your face and neck. Massage for about 10 minutes in gentle circular motions.
- Now wipe your face and neck with a cotton ball and wash with plain water.
- Using this regularly helps in providing you a glowing skin that is clear and flawless.
Benefits of Poppy Seeds for Hair:
Nowadays most people suffer from various hair problems like dandruff, split ends, hair fall, thinning of hair, alopecia and so on. This is caused due to various factors like use of too much of chemicals on hair, exposure to pollution, illnesses, poor nutrition and so on. Proper nutrition is essential not only for your health, but also for your hair and the skin. Poppy seeds are rich in unsaturated fatty acids and minerals like zinc, calcium, magnesium and so on, which play a great role in keeping your hair healthy.
Treatment of dandruff:
- If you do not treat dandruff on time, it can lead to hair fall.
- Take soaked poppy seeds, hung curd and a teaspoon of white pepper in a small bowl and mix them well. Apply this mixture on your scalp and wait for half an hour.
- Rinse off with water and mild shampoo.
- Using this regularly helps in reducing dandruff on your hair.
Stimulates hair growth:
- You can make a hair pack with poppy seeds to increase hair growth. Take soaked poppy seeds and blend them well with fresh coconut milk and pulped onion.
- Apply this on your scalp and hair and let it remain on your hair for about half an hour.
- Wash your hair with a mild shampoo.
- Use this pack regularly on your hair and this will help in stimulating growth of hair.
Health and Medicinal Benefits of Poppy Seeds:
Adds rich flavor to foods:
When you make breads, cookies, cakes, muffins and many other foods, add poppy seeds. This will help in adding flavor and texture to these foods.
Good for your heart:
Presence of linoleic acid in poppy seeds helps in preventing heart disorders and is also good for the abdomen.
Good for carcinoma disease:
The oil extracted from poppy seeds is rich in monounsaturated fatty acids and therefore beneficial for treating carcinoma.
Rich in minerals:
Poppy seeds are rich sources of various minerals needed for your body, like manganese, zinc, copper and magnesium.
Rich in omega 3:
Poppy seeds contain adequate amounts of fatty acids, which are needed for the physiological state of the body. They are also rich sources of omega 3 fatty acids, which have lots of health benefits.
Relives from normal Pain:
Poppy seeds can help in reducing pain. So, they are used as narcotics to treat various pain related conditions.
Treats nerve related diseases:
Poppy seeds contain low amounts of alkaloids and are used for treating various nerve disorders.
Treats various diseases:
Poppy seed has the ability to quench thirst. It is also good for treating fever, inflammation and constipation. It you have irritation in your stomach, poppy seeds can get your relief.
Used in Medicines:
Many of the cooling medicines contain poppy seed as their important ingredient.
Used in ayurvedic medicines:
Poppy seeds are also used in ayurveda. They are grounded with milk to get a smooth paste. This paste has moisturizing qualities and helps in moisturizing and rejuvenating your skin.