Sesame Oil for Acne – How Effective is It?
What will be your reaction when you wake up one fine morning and find acne appearing on your face? It can be very annoying. You need not worry. There is a wonderful natural remedy for acne. It is sesame oil.
Acne – A Small Brief:
You cannot call acne a disease. It is a skin condition that can cause a lot of inconvenience and embarrassment. Usually it is a part of stepping in to adulthood. But men and women in their 20s and 30s also experience acne breakouts. People with oily skin are more prone to acne. However, people with dry skin may also suffer from it.
Acne Nuances and ways to treat it:
Acne appears mostly during the puberty, when the sebaceous gland in the body becomes overactive. With the increased secretion of hormone in adolescence, the skin pores get clogged with sebum and dirt. This leads to the accumulation of bacteria. Secretion of sebum can also be due to some medications, environmental conditions and heredity. When the hair follicles get clogged with dead skin cells and sebum, acne is the result. It can occur in the form of cystic acne, blackheads and pimples.
You can get lots of products in the market promising to treat acne and get rid of it. They are available in the form of spray, gel and balm. You can choose these readymade products, but the result you get may vary. Some products may give you temporary relief and some may not give you the result you have expected. In addition, these chemical filled products can aggravate your skin condition. By using these products very often your skin may become dry and your body may start producing more oil. This can make things worse. So, it is better to try natural acne solutions. This will have low risk of side effects. Sesame oil is one such option.
All About Sesame Oil:
Sesame oil is often called the ‘queen of oils’. It has lots of benefits and is used for cooking as well as for other purposes. Acne treatment is one of the best benefits of this oil.
Why Use Sesame Oil for Acne Treatment?
Sesame oil is extracted from sesame seeds and is widely used in the skin care industry. It has been used for ages to treat various conditions of the skin. This oil is rich in protein and an antioxidant compound called sesamol.
By massaging your skin with sesame oil, you can increase the circulation of blood and clear out the dirt and sebum clogging the skin pores. Sesame oil is gentle on the skin. It benefits the skin in many ways. Vitamin A and E, and polyunsaturated fats in it are great for enhancing your skin texture and for reducing signs of aging.
Ways to use Sesame Oil to treat Acne:
- Soak cotton balls in sesame oil and apply these cotton balls gently on the skin affected with acne. Let the oil remain on your skin for about 20 minutes and then wash it off with a medicated mild soap or a cleanser. You can also leave it on your body overnight and have bath in the morning.
- Apply the sesame oil on the acne and sit near a tub with hot water. The steam from the tub will help in opening the clogged pores of the skin and let the oil seep in.
- You can also cook food with this oil. This helps in benefiting your skin.
Sesame Oil for Skin – How to Apply?
Topical application of sesame oil is the best way to treat acne. Here is how you can do it.
- Wash your face before applying sesame oil. You can use a mild cleanser for washing your face.
- Take two to three drops of sesame oil in the palm of your hands. Dab it on your face.
- Let the oil remain on your face for about half an hour.
- Now wash it off with the mild cleanser you had used to clean your face.
- Use a clean towel to dry your face.
Precautions to be taken before applying sesame oil:
- Sesame oil contains lots of nutrients that can offer you multiple health benefits. But if you have oily skin, you should be more cautious when you use sesame oil for the treatment of acne. Use it in small amounts to prevent skin condition from aggravating. It is better not to use more than two to three drops of sesame oil daily on your skin.
- Always apply some coconut oil to nullify the side effects of the overuse of sesame oil.
- Try to wash your face before and after you apply sesame oil on your face.
- Make sure to follow a strict diet so that acne will not appear again.
- You should also exercise regularly to prevent acne from reappearing.
- Drink lots of water.
- Try to avoid eating cooked grains or foods rich in grains.
- Try not to have tablets for treating acne. These only help in aggravating the condition.
- Keep your skin clean always and make sure that your skin does not harbour bad bacteria.
- Getting enough sleep is also important. Sleeping can help in relaxing your skin and treat acne.
- Oil pulling with sesame oil is also a good way to get rid of various skin problems including acne.
- You can avoid acne by trying not to consume junk foods and oily foods.
Apart from getting rid of acne, sesame oil is also a good sunscreen and detoxifies your skin.