Soursops (Graviola) Benefits and Side Effects You Must Know
Soursop is a tropical fruit tree and it is also known as graviola or zuurzak or Guanabana. It has lots of traditional uses. The seeds of this fruit are used of killing head lice. The juice of this fruit is said to have the ability to treat leprosy. Other parts of this bush contain chemical compounds, which can affect the person physiologically. The leaves, fruit, seeds and stem of this plant are used for making medicine. ravioli is applied to the skin for arthritis. it is also used in cooking and beverages.
Soursops (Graviola) Benefits:
- Among many of its benefits, soursop is known for its antioxidant properties. This is because of the polynutrients in this fruit. They are high in antioxidant compounds, including alkaloids, saponins, cardiac glycosides, phenols, terpenoids and phytosterols. These are beneficial for treating disease causing cells as well as tumours.
- The extract of soursop leaves have anti-inflammatory properties in addition to antimicrobial characteristics. This makes it one of the best anti-inflammatory foods. Studies show that soursop can be a natural anti-infection treatment for root canals.
- Bioactive components in soursop have anticancer properties. This is because of the free radical scavenging abilities and antioxidant enzymes possessed by this fruit. It has the ability to kill cancer cells by blocking ATP production.
- Infections caused by bacteria and parasites can be treated with soursop. Even leishmaniasis, a disease caused by the bite of sand fleas, can be treated with soursop. It is also used to treat herpes, cough and cold, sneezing, fever and other symptoms. Graviola and the tea made with graviola are very effective for fighting infection and keeping you healthy.
- Grinding the seeds of soursop into a fine powder and using it as a skin astringent helps in keeping your skin healthy and young looking. It can reduce the wrinkles and fine on your face as well as the age spots and blemishes. Apply this paste topically on your skin regularly. It can also protect your skin form bacterial and microbial infections.
- This is a bush that bears fruits and flowers. It has broad leaves and is originally found in Central America, South America and the Caribbean. Nowadays it is also found in many other countries.
Other than its immense benefits, soursop also has some side effects that you should be aware of.
Side Effects of Soursop:
Affects the cardiovascular system:
This is considered as one of the serious side effects of soursop. By consuming excess of soursop your cardiovascular system may get affected. This is because this fruit has depressant effect. So, people suffering from problems of heart should never consume this fruit.
If you are undergoing treatment for depression or if you are taking medicines for treating depression, then you should avoid consuming soursop. This is because soursop can reverse the effects of these antidepressants.
Avoid soursop with Coq10:
Soursop is popular for its anti cancer properties. This property of soursop comes from its ability reduce the supply of adenosine triphosphate to the cancer cells. Adenosine triphosphate offers high metabolic energy to the cells in the body. Nutritional supplements like Coenzyme Q 10 helps in enhancing ATP. Due to these reasons, the effects of soursop may be neutralized by CoQ10. So, people are advised not to consume both these products together.
If you use sousop for a long period of time, it may lead to the occurrence of fugal and yeast infections in the body.
Low blood pressure levels:
Some of the experiments conducted on animals show that sousop can reduce the levels of blood pressure. It also dilates the blood vessels. So, if you are suffering from low blood pressure you should never consume sousop fruits as it can further lower your blood pressure and cause serious problems. Those on medication for high blood pressure should also be careful when consuming soursop. It is better that they consult their doctor before attempting to consume this fruit. Like any other natural products, you should take care to consume it in controlled amounts. Consuming it in excess may lead to vomiting and even nausea.
Consuming sousop can lead to the development of movement disorders.
According to research conducted, it was shown that consuming tea made using the stems and leaves of soursop can cause neurotoxicity disorders.
Consuming soursop can lead to the occurrence of various neurological disorders.
Some of the research made has shown that the chemical found in patients suffering from Parkinson’s disease is also found in soursop. So, people suffering from this disease should never consume this fruit as it can make the symptoms get worse.
By consuming soursop in excess quantities, contraction of the uterine wall may take place. So, it is advised that pregnant ladies should avoid consuming this fruit as it can lead to miscarriage or premature labour.
Note: If you are planning to consume soursop in its raw form or if you buy supplements and consume, then it is better to talk with your doctor first and ensure whether it is safe for you to consume this fruit. You get some benefits by eating this fruit as well as the supplements made using this fruit. But you should be aware of its side effects as well, especially if you are suffering from any critical health issues. If you are consuming high doses of any other medications, then also you should be cautious while consuming soursop.
The best way is to consume it in limited amounts. This way you will be able to stay away from its side effects and enjoy its benefits.