Causes of Dry Skin and Best Home Remedies for Treating it
Dry skin can pose to be a major problem and requires effective treatment. If untreated, it opens way for bacteria and other infections. This can eventually lead to dermatitis. Dry skin patches could appear at all dry areas. On your hands, arms and lower legs, they are easily visible. Having patches on areas around your mouth, under our eyes and cheeks could be embarrassing.
There could be numerous causes for dry skin, depending on your skin type, lifestyle, climatic factors an living conditions. Given below are a few general causes.
Image credits: deviantart
Top 7 Causes of Dry Skin:
- Dry air, especially during winter. Low temperature and humidity, strong and harsh winds worsen the condition even further.
- Prolonged exposure to hot water. This washes away natural oils and dries the skin.
- Water deficiency also can lead to dehydration of skin.
- Using soap on skin strips away the protective oil and could cause skin to crack or bleed. Get mild soaps or a herbal hand wash.
- Excessive rubbing and scrubbing creates a friction that strips away the skin’s oil and makes it dry.
- Some medicines could have a drying effect on your skin. Generally, those for high blood pressure, acne and other skin conditions like retinoid cause drying.
- Medical problems like eczema, psoriasis, diabetes, fluctuation in glucose level, thyroid and so on could cause dryness. Lack of enough nutrition and improper diet is also a major cause. Hormonal changes, especially in older women, could be a reason for dry skin.
Home Remedies to treat Itchy, Cracked Rough and Dry Skin:
Image credits: deviantart
Remedies for dry skin depend on the skin condition. There are a number of products available in the market. But, home remedies work better than all of them. They are effective and also cheap. Moreover, you need not worry about side effects too.
Listed below are a few effective home remedies for dry skin. Try them out and get clear, smooth and soft skin.
1. Papaya and Avocado paste:
Papaya reduces dryness and effectively removes scars. Take 1 slice of papaya, 1 avocado and 1 banana to make a paste. Apply it on your face and leave on for 15 minutes. Applying a paste of avocados all over your face and body nourishes your skin.
2. Egg Yolk paste:
Make a paste of the yolk of 1 egg, 1 teaspoon of milk powder and a teaspoon of honey. Apply it on your face and wash off with regular water after 20 minutes.
3. Cucumber face pack:
Cucumber moisturizes your skin and lightens your skin tone naturally. Make a paste of a cucumber and apply on your face. Wash it off after 30 minutes. Within a few weeks you will see the difference.
4. Honey and Rose face pack:
Mix a teaspoon of honey and a teaspoon of rose water. Apply this on your face and neck to cleanse the skin, tone it and get glowing skin.
5. Banana paste:
Mash 1 ripe banana and use it as a face pack. Wash it off after 30 minutes. Banana peels also contain a number of ingredients that are good for the skin. Antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins are present in peels. Rubbing the peel on dry skin gives relief from skin inflammation and makes your skin smooth and soft.
6. Aloe Vera gel
Apply Aloe Vera gel on your face and let it stay for 30 minutes. Slice a piece of Aloe Vera and squeeze out the gel. It is an excellent moisturizer, and forms a protective layer to keep away impurities. Your skin becomes soft and luminous, dead skin is removed and signs of aging are prevented.
7. Egg Yolk and Olive Oil face pack:
Mix 1 egg yolk, 1 teaspoon of olive oil and a few drops of rose water and lime juice. Make a paste and apply on your face. Wash it off after 15 minutes for excellent results.
8. Oil therapy:
Massage your body with olive oil, almond oil or coconut oil before bathing. A hot oil massage is even better and makes your skin soft and smooth. It also helps retain moisture.
9. Curd paste:
Curd makes your skin soft and radiant with its antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. Apply plain curd, or a mix with honey and lime. Wash it off after 10 minutes to see wonders on your skin.
10. Almond paste:
Soak a few almonds overnight, peel the skin and make a fine paste. Make a paste with 2 teaspoons of raw milk, 1 teaspoon of gram flour and a few drops of lemon juice. Apply this on your face and wash off with lukewarm water after 20 minutes. Massage gently while washing to relieve dry skin and improve the skin tone.
11. Fresh Cream and Lemon face pack:
Make a mixture with 1 teaspoon of fresh cream, ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder and a few drops of lemon juice. Apply this on your face for 15 minutes, massage for 5 minutes and then wash off.
Foods rich in minerals, proteins and minerals like milk, eggs, cream, nut, mushrooms, legumes, peas, carrots, spinach and oranges help combat dry skin.