Honey for Oily Skin: How to Use, Its Benefits and Side Effects
Honey is a natural ingredient that is excellent for your health and beauty. It is an important constituent in many of the ayurvedic medicines. If you add honey to your regular beauty regime, you will see a great change in your appearance. If you have an oily skin with acne and pimples, honey is an ideal remedy for it. It is good for the dry skin as well. No wonder many people travel with a bottle of honey in their bag!. Honey has lots of health benefits and ensures you a healthy, smooth, soft and glowing skin. For oily skin it is an unavoidable ingredient and works well to remove acne, infections and breakouts.
Benefits of Honey for Oily Skin:
It is exceptionally good for oily skin because of the following facts:
- It helps in absorbing excess moisture from your skin and therefore it keeps your skin safe from the risk of any types of skin infections.
- The humectants properties of honey are very beneficial in keeping your skin well moisturized and at the same time not making it oily.
- The antibacterial and antiseptic properties of honey help in eliminating pimples and acne from your face. It also makes sure that these problems do not appear again.
- Honey is full of nutrients that are needed by the skin for keeping it healthy. So applying honey on your skin ensures that your skin is kept healthy, and also prevents ageing.
How to use Honey in Different Ways:
As a Cleanser for skin:
You can use honey as a cleanser to remove the layer of dirt on your skin and to open up the pores. Just take some honey in your hands and rub it on your skin.
As a Good Scrub:
You can use it as a scrub in two different ways.
- Take 1 tablespoon of honey and mix it with 2 tablespoons of almond that is grounded and powdered. Add half a teaspoon of lime juice also.
- Mix all the three ingredients well. Use this as a scrub and scrub gently on your skin with circular motions. Then wash using lukewarm water.
- Mix 3 tablespoons of honey with half teaspoon of sugar or sea salt.
- After mixing them well, massage your face with it. Wash off with lukewarm water.
As a face pack to control acne:
- Take 1 tablespoon of honey in a bowl and mix it with 1 tablespoon of milk. Add 1 tablespoon of turmeric and half a tablespoon of lemon to it.
- Mix well and apply on your face. Let the mixture dry by keeping it for 25 to 30 minutes. Wash off with cold water.
Honey and milk are good moisturizers and keep your skin well moisturized. Lemon and turmeric help in keeping your skin free from acne and pimples.
For skin rejuvenation:
- For rejuvenating your skin, you can make a face pack with honey. Take 1 tablespoon of honey and mix it with 1 tablespoon of egg white and half a teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Mix all the ingredients well and apply on your face. Wait for 10 minutes and then wash your face using lukewarm water.
For brightening skin:
A face pack made with honey and chocolate is excellent for brightening your skin.
- Take 2 tablespoons of honey in a bowl and mix with 1 tablespoon of chocolate powder and 2 tablespoons of milk. Also add 1 tablespoon of lemon to this mixture.
- Mix them well and apply on your face. Leave the pack on your face till it gets dry completely.
- After the face pack dries up, massage it on your face with warm water slowly and gently.
- Wash off with water.
- Soon after that you will see that there is a glow on your face.
As a face pack and natural bleach:
- To make this pack, take 2 tablespoons of honey and mix 2 tablespoons of tomato juice with it. You can also use tomato pulp instead of tomato juice.
- Apply this pack on your face and then leave it for about 15 minutes. Rinse your face with cold water. You will see that your face has become fresh and glowing.
- Take 1 tablespoon of multani mitti or fuller’s earth and mix it with 1 tablespoon of honey and 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
- Mix them well to get a smooth paste. Apply this pack on your face and wait till it gets dry.
- Wash off with cold water.
So, always keep a bottle of honey with you and treat your oily skin with it.
[Also Read: Home-made Honey Face Packs]
Honey has some effects as well, so you need to consider some precautions and warnings before you apply on it your face
Honey Side Effects and Warnings:
- If you have an oily skin, you are always at the risk of getting acne, pimples and breakouts on your skin. So, do a patch test and see if you have an oily skin.
- Always choose organic honey instead of using processed honey.
- If you want to get the maximum results by using honey, wash your face following the dual wash method.
- Before you apply honey on your face, wash your face with lukewarm water. This will open up the pores of the skin.
- Now wash your face with cold water. This helps in closing the skin pores. This prevents dust from entering the pores. As a result oil and dirt will not accumulate on your skin. So, breakouts will also be reduced.
- Remember not to use soap on your face immediately after applying the face mask on your face.
Now that you have seen various methods to treat oily skin with honey, you need not worry about your oily skin. Choose any of the methods mentioned above and have a healthy and fresh skin.