How to Stop Lipstick from Smudging, Smearing and Fading
You might have seen beautiful women on television shows and award nights looking stunning in perfectly done makeup. Their lipstick never seems to smudge even a bit throughout the show. Have you ever wondered how they managed to keep the bright and vibrant lipstick in place? Often our lipstick starts fading away even before the party is over. If you want to know how to keep you lipstick smudge-free and long lasting, read on.
To achieve smudge-free lipstick that lasts loner, you need the following:
- Lip primer
- Lip pencil
- Compact powder
- Tissue paper
Step-By-Step Tutorial to Fix Smudged Lipstick:
Prep your Pout:
First of all, prepare your lips by applying lip balm or lip conditioner on your lips. This helps in making your lips soft and supple. As a result, you will find it easier to apply the lipstick. If you have sunburnt, dry or rough lips, you can prepare a sugar scrub at home by mixing brown sugar and olive oil, and scrub your lips with it at least once a week. Once you have prepared your lips, you can apply a concealer or foundation on your lips. Apply the compact to set it, so that a flawless makeup base is created. This technique is also good for keeping your lipstick intact.
Applying Lipstick Powder:
Line your lips using a lip pencil. Once you have completed outlining your lips, fill the entire lip area using the same pencil. Next you have to swipe the lipstick on your lips. After you have finished applying the lipstick, dab on some loose powder on your lips. A transparent finishing powder can be used. You can use a small fluffy brush for applying the powder. Leave it for about 5 to 10 seconds on your lips.
Powder Blending Process:
Once you have applied the loose powder and waited for 5 to 10 seconds, take a small flat brush and sweep the powder all over your lips till you get the matte finish you have desired. This technique is very beneficial for sealing the colour on your lips and to prevent your lipstick from smudging.
Blotting the excess lipstick:
After completing above blending process, what you have to do is to take a tissue paper and fold it into half. Keep the tissue paper between your upper and lower lips and blot the excess lipstick from your lips. This also helps in keeping the lipstick away from your teeth. You need not worry about this method making your lipstick look uneven or faded. You can rectify it later by applying the required amount of lipstick again.
Finishing touch up:
If you prefer to use lip loss, then you can apply a coat of lip gloss just on the centre of your lips. Do not apply it on the entire lip area. This way you can prevent the bleeding of the colour around the lip area.
Additional Lip Makeup Tips to help you:
- One of the easiest ways to prevent the lipstick from smudging is to apply a lip primer. This provides a base for your lips, and is very effective for holding the colour for a longer period of time. It is also effective for preventing bleeding of the colour and to keep your lipstick intact.
- Make sure that you apply enough lip balm on your lips when there is no lipstick applied on your lips. This helps in keeping your lips well moisturized. You can apply it before you go to bed at night. In the morning, before you apply the lipstick, remember to blot all the lip balm off from your lips using a tissue paper. If you feel that there is still some left on your lips, then dust some loose powder on your lips. This helps in giving your lips a good grip when you apply the lipstick.
- If you notice any unevenness around your lip or jaw area, you can correct it by applying a concealer or a foundation over the area. Make sure that the concealer or foundation is of a shade that is closer to your skin tone.
- A lip pencil or a lip liner is the best to use as a base, as this can prevent smudging. Take care to choose a pencil that is of the same shade as your lipstick.
- By outlining and filling your lips before you apply the lipstick, you can increase the longevity of your lipstick, no matter what the formula or quality of your lipstick is.
- When you apply the lipstick on your lips, remember to use a thin lip brush. This helps in applying the lipstick evenly on your lips. It is also good for reaching out to the corners.
- Keep the colour of your teeth. There is a simple trick for this. After you apply the lipstick, wash and clean your hands. Then slide your index finger between your lips. By doing so, the colour on the innermost part of your lips will come off on your finger. This way you can keep the colour away from your teeth.
- If you do not want to use a lip liner and draw a sharp line, then you can take a cream concealer and trace around the outside of your lips using a lip liner brush. This will keep the line tact and prevents your lipstick form smudging across your face.
- Remember to always carry a lip colour in your bag. This allows you for quick touch-ups when you are out.
So, follow the tutorial and tips given above and keep your lipstick intact and smudge-free for a long time.