How to Color your Hair at Home: Simple and Easy Steps
Changing hair color is something every woman would love to try. It gives a whole new look to your hair and style. There are a number of different brands that are available in the market. All of them claim to offer long lasting and good hair color. They may be permanent, semi-permanent, or temporary. The pricing also varies for the different brands.
When you choose a hair color, it is necessary to do some market research and select one that is safe and free of harsh chemicals. Coloring your hair at home is an interesting option. But, it requires a lot of care as well. Here are 4 simple steps to guide you to coloring your hair at home:
List of things that you need when you color your hair at home:
- Bowl and brush
The process of coloring your hair at home:
Step 1: Mixing the color:
- Take a plastic bowl and pour the color and the developer in the bowl. Mix them properly with the hair color brush and see that the color has come out well.
- Place a towel around your shoulders to prevent the color from falling on your clothes and staining them.
- Wear gloves to protect your hands from getting stained by the color. It is difficult to remove the color once it gets on to your hands. You must also apply Vaseline or oil around your hairline so that the color do not spread beyond the hairline and stain your skin.
- Now you are ready to apply the color on your hair.
Step 2: Applying the mixture:
To the roots
- To apply the color to the roots, you have to start from the hairline on the forehead.
- Take a small part of your hair and apply the hair color on that part with the hair brush. In this way color the hair by taking small parts, till you reach the hair line at t=your neck. Another easy way is to divide your hair in to four parts, horizontally from ear to ear and vertically from your forehead to the nape of your neck. Keep each part out of the way with a clip. Color one portion of the hair, clip it, and then move on to the other portion. This way you can make sure that the color is well distributed to all the parts.
- After coloring the roots, leave it for about 20 minutes or as directed on the packet of the hair color.
A few tips:
- Wash your hair about 24 to 48 hours before you color your hair. This helps in the development of natural oils in your hair, which aids in binding the color to the hair more easily. It also makes the hair color last for a longer time on your hair.
- It is advisable that you do not use a conditioner when you shampoo your hair before you color your hair. This is because conditioners prevent the formation of natural oils in the hair, which is very much needed when you color your hair.
- Remember to pick a color that suits you. Every color does not suite everyone. So you must be careful when you choose the hair color.
- After coloring the roots of your hair and waiting for about 20 minutes, you may apply the remaining color on your hair also.
- Now comb your hair with a wide tooth comb from the roots to the tips for 5 to 10 minutes, so that the color spreads evenly and looks natural. You must not do this if you have highlights, as they may disappear.
- If you are coloring only the roots, apply a conditioner to the rest of the hair, so that it does not absorb the color.
Step 3: Rinse:
After waiting for the stipulated time, rinse your hair well with tepid water till the water that runs from your hair is clear. The color needs to be removed thoroughly to avoid the build-up of product. If product builds up on your hair, it can lead to further skin infections and eruptions like dandruff.
Step 4: Condition:
Conditioning your hair is very important, as no matter how well a chemical is formulated, it can never be 100 per cent safe and suitable for your hair. Using a conditioner is a must. Apply it on your hair and leave it on for 2 minutes before washing off completely.
Tips to Remember:
- Apply the color on unwashed hair as it helps you avoid the tingly and uncomfortable feel during the coloring process.
- Doing a strand check is important to ensure allergic free applications. Certain skin types may cause allergic reactions to the hair color. To avoid this, confirm with a strand test. If no adverse effects are found, you can continue coloring your hair. If you find any allergic reactions, avoid applying the color and consult a dermatologist.
- Even if you have lots of practice in coloring your hair and have done it several times before at home, make sure you read the instructions well. Certain specifications like the time period specified, the procedure for application, and the routine for hair color vary for the different brands.
- In case you are attempting to get a color that is completely different from your natural hair color, color your hair only at a salon. Never attempt to do it yourself, or at home.
- Make sure you perform only the right technique of application. Choose the right color, prepare it well, apply it properly, and also maintain your hair well after application. This helps prevent dryness, and makes your hair shiny and soft.
- When picking a hair color, never choose one that is more than two shades lighter or darker than the natural color of your hair.
So, now you know the right technique of applying hair color. Keep all the tips in mind and follow the steps correctly to have a long lasting hair color.